650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Why are these bikes so hard to find In California
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
76xs

PostPosted: April 15, 2007, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

One would think that California, because of the weather down south anyway, would have plenty of bikes. Is it because people in Ca tend to make more money than other states so they bought Harleys??? It seems like the ones i do come across cost much more than you guys in the other states are paying. I had one of these in the early 80s and love the british look of them. And now with the mid life crissis thing and the fact that Harleys are the norm I'd rather have an xs. I have this weird issue that i can not be like the others. I refuse to be a follower (although we all are to some sence). Any opinions on this subject?
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 16, 2007, 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

I never thought of that but I did look on Ebay and there was 8 or 9 of them and none were on your side of the desert. Maybe the XS is just to conservative and that is why they are all on the right coast.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
76xs

PostPosted: April 16, 2007, 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

I'm not sure what the deals is. I do have a bike i am working on, but I always have my eyes open for another. Maybe I'll get lucky one day.
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 16, 2007, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

ON THE FLIP SIDE YOU DO HAVE WOMEN WEARING BIKINI'S ALL YEAR LONG.
AYBE THIS IS WHY ALL THE CRAZY BIKE FESTIVALS ARE ON THE EAST COAST AND ALL THE UPSCALE CONCOURS APPEAR TO RESIDE IN CALIFORNIA

I THINK PEOPLE ON THE EAST COAST ARE ACTUALLY GETTING SCREWED

BUT LETS CALL IT A FAIR TRADE.

KYLE
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 16, 2007, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Speaking of fair trade. All of us are getting screwed. That's the American way since 1992. If you thought NAFTA was bad, which should have been called SHAFTA check out the NORTH AMERICAN UNION.
Eventually there will be no borders and we will have no country. And our XS will produce to much CO2 and will be banned by Al Gore. They won't run good on corn oil anyway.

Don't forget about CAFTA that will turn in a few more screws.......

John Underwood...(person of the world)

Can't say "man of the world" that would not be be politically correct""""

Last edited by xsjohn on April 16, 2007, 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
76xs

PostPosted: April 16, 2007, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Not all of Caifornia is sunny and warm. Here in Susanville it gets down to the single digits in the winter. BUT we do have some hotties. Maybe i just don't fit in here. I aint into all that California bling bull%&^#. And it has taken over everything not just bikes.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 16, 2007, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

I was in LA in the 80s for a couple of years and had a ball. I still remember the bumper sticker SMUCK FOG.... . Aronld ain't treating you right or should I say left.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
midnrider

PostPosted: March 25, 2008, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Hey...ya never see them listed for sell min the south either, mostly the midwest?
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 25, 2008, 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

76xs wrote:
One would think that California, because of the weather down south anyway, would have plenty of bikes. Is it because people in Ca tend to make more money than other states so they bought Harleys??? It seems like the ones i do come across cost much more than you guys in the other states are paying.

Could be a couple of reasons. One is, as you've alluded to, they jus go for more in CA. Another is, owners of XS650s tend to hang onto them and not sell them -- unlike Harley drivers.

Since Craigslist (http://craigslist.org) has become so popular in recent days, and since there are "editions" for most every US city of a decent size, I'd reommend you browse it on a regular basis. I'd also recommend you enlist Craigshelper (http://craigshelper.com) in your search. Craigshelper is a great, free utility that allows you to search multiple "editions" of Craigslist for whatever you want.

Often, XS650s appear on Craigslist. Last year, I bought two XS650s (a 78 and a 70) off it. Worth the time spent if you're looking for another XS650.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
dwyatt

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

The bikes are too valuable to risk falling off into the Pacific next earthquake........
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Maybe they didn't make it through the donner pass.......xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

I see California XS bikes often on e-bay. Not all of them are 650s, of course. The 1100 seems more popular in California, and that's understandable. Having driven all over California as a trucker, I'd love to live in California as a biker -- but I wouldn't feel happy or safe in California with any bike that doesn't cruise easily at 90 mph. Even the fabled New York minute is a long time in California.
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

For all the money some guys spend hopping these things up……my XS buddy bought a pristine 79 XS1100 for that kind of cash and there isn’t a XS650 living or dead that will stay up with it…….at least not that I know of……and now he has 2 bikes……one XS to go for beer and the other for real business with no vibs....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Hi Guys,

John, I agree with most of what you post, but I have to explain: the United States has two coasts: the Least Coast (where you are) and the Best Coast (where I am). Then there's California--a whole different critter. Ever been along the southern border of Oregon and seen the "Gut Shoot 'Em At The Border" signs?

OK, OK, it's all in jest. However, I do have an actual point to make: I would not consider an XS1100 for the same reason I've never owned a modern bike: it's complicated! All those cylinders, pistons, carbs--and I can't even imagine pulling an XS1100 engine! So I cruise at 60 or 65, and without the sidecar, I know she will go way past 90, which is faster than I will go.....which is to say: "I just love my XS650!!"

Oh--I'm going to ride the XS back to North Carolina for a meet this May in Blowing Rock. It's a big state, but are you anywhere near there? It would be fun to talk XS's instead of Brit bikes for awhile...as long as I'm on the Least Coast.... Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Barbra.....If you believe anything I say you are one crazy gal.....spent lots of time on both coasts....don't ask me why I am why I am stuck in this boring place called Mocksville....just south of Winston Salem....Yea Blowig Rock is just a few gears and some tail ache away....60-70 miles maybe....let me and others know when the shindig is..........I have got to see this sidecar.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Folks,

There is another coast in the US, you know. Actually three others. I live sixty miles from one: the Gulf Coast, home of the best seafood in the world. It's okay that you forget about it. We like it that way.

The other two coasts are, of course, Alaska and Hawaii.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

I lived on that one too......and forgot all about it.......that's from to much TV.....right coast and left coast and all.......south coast....thought that got blown away.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
tracker79

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Don't know about California, but they're always around Indiana cheap. My girlfriend told me about one afew minutes ago on Craigslist-Indianapolis. It's a 1980 for $480, doesn't look to bad either.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 27, 2008, 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

xsjohn wrote:
For all the money some guys spend hopping these things up……my XS buddy bought a pristine 79 XS1100 for that kind of cash and there isn’t a XS650 living or dead that will stay up with it…….at least not that I know of……and now he has 2 bikes……one XS to go for beer and the other for real business with no vibs....

xsjohn

John -- That's exactly why I said the XS1100 is more popular in California than the XS650. California lives on the freeway, and the 1100 is a freeway flyer. The 650 is for light work.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 27, 2008, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

There is a guy here who owns a shop that believes the 1100 was the best bike ever. Has a sign on the front of the place that says " XS Eleven Heaven" and has some really nice restored models for sale.Has a site:http://merriamcycle.com/

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 27, 2008, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

Personally the xs1100 is to heavy for me...bad back an all......but it wil fly and I also thought it was like all Yamaha's of that period geared to low with no hope of changing it .......and the power curve was for HP and not torque.....and if you changed the power curve and got a more low end torque you would be geared to low thus spinning it more than needed at high speed......catch 22 as usual.....I just brought this up earlier to be a smart ass and am probably a little jealous of the guys with all the money to spend on these things......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 28, 2008, 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

xsjohn sez the XS1100 is geared too low?

John -- top end for an XS11 with stock gearing is something like 140 mph. Are you sure it's geared too low? You're much braver than I am, if you think so.

Like you, I think the 1100 is too heavy. I never liked the way it handles, and I put 12,000 miles on one during the three years I owned it. But one guy I talked to -- a race rider -- says the machine gets nice and LIGHT up above 120 mph. . . .

One thing I always noticed about the 1100 -- In its stock configuration (like I had) the bike seems almost like it has two engines. Coast away from a stop light in first gear and twist the throttle open, response is relatively mild until the tach crosses four grand. As soon as the tach crosses four grand, though, the thing hunkers down and starts to howl and takes off like somebody switched on the afterburner. Below four grand it's fairly civilized; above four grand it's a wild animal that'll pull your face out of shape and rip the hair right out of your head. If a novice rider (new to the XS11, that is) survives an XS11, it's because he always pointed the thing straight down the road before twisting it all the way open.
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 28, 2008, 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

I've noticed the opposite here in CT, my first one was 10k original miles in perfect condition and I got it for $500, needed nothing. I found another one in bulk pick up (in the garbage) last year and my friend has it now on the road. The one I'm working on now was also a freebie that I spotted when a buddy and I went to pick up a used lawn tractor he was buying. CT also has a Yamaha dealer that has been here forever, so I'm thinking there were just a crapload of xs650's sold in the area back in the day.
flatheadgary

PostPosted: March 29, 2008, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are these bikes so hard to find In California

76xs, i just saw a 650 at the bike salvage yard that was in excellent condition and runs good for $650 dollars in lancaster so cal.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2