650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > What are your tips to cleaning spoked wheels?

What are your tips to cleaning spoked wheels?
    Forum Index -> Drive
Taiji_Dat

PostPosted: May 30, 2005, 4:11 pm    Post subject: What are your tips to cleaning spoked wheels?

Hello, Read the postings on tips to cleaning the aluminum side covers etc. and it had some great ideas. So, What are your tips to cleaning spoked wheels? Tooth brush between them, steel wool each spoke, lol, got to be a better way! Share your tips?
David
Photo Gallery
desertanimal

PostPosted: May 30, 2005, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your tips to cleaning spoked wheels?

I recently got a brush at the hardware store made just for cleaning spoked wheels. Worked well on my Honda Shadow. For the back wheel, which was really grimy, I used diluted ammonia and scrubbed and scrubbed. The ammonia really cut it and didn't seem to hurt anything. Of course, I wasn't THAT picky about EACH spoke!

Stephanie
Hamamatsu

PostPosted: May 31, 2005, 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: What are your tips to cleaning spoked wheels?

You got it right the first time, I use 000 steel wool, Turtle wax chrome cleaner and lots of elbow grease. The Turtle wax chrome cleaner keeps the rust from coming back. It's worth the effort when you see the spokes twinkle when going down the road.
Taiji_Dat

PostPosted: May 31, 2005, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What are your tips to cleaning spoked wheels?

Hello desertanimal and Hamamatsu, I one saw someone who had a brush similiar to what you describe desertanimal and used a drill to get in between the spokes. I know there is some polishing attachment out there that is similiar to a flapping buffing wheel but not sure it would work well on a wheel with a lot of spokes. If anyone knows of one that will please share the info...

Any inventors out there?
I vision a tool, cone shaped, one a brass or nylon brush to pre-clean. Maybe another made of heavy felt that I could use a buffing/cleaning compound to it to clean between the spokes. Then use another one with a polishing compound on it to finish off the job. Who knows, maybe it already exists.

David
Photo Gallery
xs650g

PostPosted: September 7, 2005, 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: What are your tips to cleaning spoked wheels?

Shoe laces, impregnated with polishing compound. Just seesaw those babies up and down from both sides. Or better yet, get the kids to do it for you.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1