650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > Top End Work > > Performance Carb Suggestions

Performance Carb Suggestions
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
    Forum Index -> Top End Work
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Well the ole days of 55 to the gallon are gone again....... when the Jews hit Iran and gas quadruples you'll be squeeling again......... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Agreed, thats why Im keen to fit these Kwacker CV carbs, need to save juice on at least one bike!
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Well since I only have one XS650 and remember last summer and gas prices........have you tried connecting the barbs with 3/16 ID tubing on those VM's to help maintain balance......?
Photo Gallery
XS919

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

I see quite a few sets of 34mm Mikuni flat slides from the Yamaha Banshee 350. I wonder how these would go on a 650 or 750 with a bit of work?

The jetting and needle sizes from the round slide would probably be a good start. How much would the slide from a 2 stroke carb vary from one suited to a 4 stroke?

Cheers

ichael
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

I saw something somewhere a while ago about two-stroke carbs on four-stroke engines. It didn't strike me as a particularly happy story.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

John, you or anyone tried a balance pipe between the two VM's ..Would be intrested in how well it worked..I'll take a look into trying it at the weekend ..

XS919 - Ive only had experience with flatslides on 2-strokes ..Id have thought they delivered a bit too much juice for a low-revving 4-stroke..im sure someone will put me/us right soon... Wink

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

the balance pipe seems like a good idea with vacuum-slide carbs. I'm not sure what it would do with VMs, which have mechanical slides. Do try it and do tell how it turns out, why doncha?
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

XS919 wrote:
I see quite a few sets of 34mm Mikuni flat slides from the Yamaha Banshee 350. I wonder how these would go on a 650 or 750 with a bit of work?

The jetting and needle sizes from the round slide would probably be a good start. How much would the slide from a 2 stroke carb vary from one suited to a 4 stroke?

A few things to consider; you would probably need to change all the internals, though the slide is probably ok.

So before you buy, get prices for NJ's, JN's, MJ's, PJ's.

Also need to know if those carbs have a power jets, if they do the jetting process might be a long one, working out all the variables, unless you can find someone with experience........

The slide cut away controls air flow on the first 1/4 throttle, a larger number means a larger cut away, which means a leaner mixture. This should be tuneable with pilot jets, needle jets & jet needles. Or otherwise can be tuned with a heavy right hand, going past 1/4 throttle will take the cut away out of the equation!

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 22, 2009, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Just looking at this site:

www.mikunioz.com/throt...slides.htm

Don't know if it's right, or the same as Banchees, but it says the only cut away available for TM 34's is #4, might be a bit to radical, not sure??????

Stoort

PostPosted: July 8, 2009, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

Check out 650performance.com. The manual that is offered has a copy of the Yamaha Race Shop publication from 1976 that includes all the details to tune Mikuni VM34 carbs for flat track use. There's also a dyno comparison of VM36 and 38 carbs with no other changes as well as a bunch of additonal info on carb options for the XS650/750 engine.
Stoort
dwyatt

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

I'm running 36mm flatslides, no problem and started second kick after being down for 2 years. Dyno results via 650 Performance show a significant improvement across the RPM range.
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
dwyatt

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Carb Suggestions

I'm running 36mm flatslides, no problem and started second kick after being down for 2 years. Dyno results via 650 Performance show a significant improvement across the RPM range.
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Top End Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4