650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > Air filter upgrade

Air filter upgrade
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
Toad

PostPosted: May 23, 2005, 12:09 am    Post subject: Air filter upgrade

I am looking for a Good air filter replacement for my stock 1980 Special. I have looked at K&N's website and found the RC-0982 filter replacements for about 63$. I would like something alittle cheaper, but about as good performance wise. I found these on ebay:
Ebay 650 air filter

Anyone know what that filter is on ebay, or know of any cheaper cone air filters for these bikes? I also wonder what kind of difference it can make, its supposed to be like 5% more HP at the wheel.

Thanks,

-Todd
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 23, 2005, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

Go to www.650central.com/ and under carburetion and check item #M55752 ..... $12.95 ea. It's the same as you are looking at on Ebay. That's what I'm running on my 80 as my originals were wasted when I got it. I did have to fatten up the mixture on my carbs with the filters and straight pipes. Dwayne at 650 Central is a good guy to work with.
Photo Gallery
Toad

PostPosted: May 23, 2005, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

Thank you for the response mo650chopper.

Right now I have some spunge like filters on there. They seem to be clean with good airflow, I just figured the air intake is the cheapest way to make more HP.

1. Will i see much gain by installing these air filters? I would be willing to buy the K&N's (57$ shipped) if it would make much of a difference.

2. Will I need to increase the gas mixture on my carbs if I order these air filters you recommend? If they did let more air in, I would have to do this right?

3. How would I go about increasing the fuel to air ratio on the carborator?

Thank you for all your advice. I am a newbie and need it ;p
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 23, 2005, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

I personally feel the Emgos are a quality filter at a much more reasonable cost than the K&N's. I pretty much followed the information here at www.mikesxs.net/tech_tips.html The 80 models were set to run pretty lean from the factory so helping it breath better, More Power, you need to get a richer mixture. It wasn't too hard, I figured it out.
Photo Gallery
Toad

PostPosted: May 23, 2005, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

So I have to take apart the carburetor completely to adjust the main jet and pilot jet.

I have the repair manual, and could do this,

1. but is there an eazier way? I would most likely mess something up.

2. Are there any better walk throughs out there on how to do this?
Toad

PostPosted: May 24, 2005, 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

The carbs on my bike are not stock, they were completely re-done by the previous owner, so original leaness is probably not as big a deal. I will just put the slightly better EMGO filters on and hope I dont have to touch the carb.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 24, 2005, 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

How do your plugs look now? Are they real white, Lean. or are they more on the tan, brown side? Keep us posted on how it works out.
Photo Gallery
Toad

PostPosted: May 24, 2005, 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

2xEMGO filters shipped for 34.80. I will probably get them saturday, I will let you know how they turn out.
Toad

PostPosted: May 28, 2005, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade RESULTS

RESULTS

I gained about 8% performance increase. I went from:

63 MPH @ 4,000 RPM
to
68 MPH @ 4,000RPM

You can also feel more power lower in the power band.

All in All I am very happy with my purchase. I am guessing it was running a little rich already, and now it is running better than ever.
five_fingers

PostPosted: June 9, 2005, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

Can anyone suggest resorces for learning about carb repair and tuning? I've got a leak and would like to do a little research before I take off the carbs and can't get them back together.
Jack

PostPosted: June 11, 2005, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

The service manuals are pretty vague in the disassemble and reassemble department on the XS but the Clymer does shed alittle more light. The best thing to due is get some decent carb cleaner to pre soak the carb main body, along with brass jets but remember to remove any rubber seals from the throttle valve shaft. Just disassemble one carb at a time and lay the parts in an orderly fashion as a referece factor to make reassembly that much easier. Just roll those sleeves up and go for it,there's members here who will guide you through this,sure it's intimidating at first but once you get passed the first rebuild,they're a breeze...........Jack
Barrett

PostPosted: January 25, 2007, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter upgrade

First, MPH at any given RPM is a constant. The only reason you would have different reading would be wind, or up hill vs down hill? I mean, the engine, trasnmission, chain and back wheel all are connected with set ratio's, they don't change in respect to horspower. If it feels faster, okay. I am not sure of the physics of your evaluation?

Now, look for "HP Series" books on learning carbs. Looking for vacuum leaks is as simple as spraying WD-40(with the red nozzle on it) around the carbs while the bike is running, if the idle changes, that is where you leak is, look at gasket surfaces and intakes made of rubber. Fuel leaks, look for stuck/sticking fuel floats or debris in the carb. Sometimes neddle and seats have wear in them. I have had some XS's with fuel petcocks that would leak. If you have a leak!!! Check your oil, make sure it is not OVER FULL, meaning fuel is in the oil, BAD, WAY BAD for your engine!!! Oil may also smell like fuel.

Look at each spark plug, compare them to each other, same color, one lighter or darker. Lighter is lean, darker is rich...brown/tan is perfect. Oily is a seal problem, no oil in the carbs...

If and when you disassemble the carbs, have a clean well lit work area. Some zip lock bags, and a good impact driver(some of those phillips head screws never want to come out!) I don't know if you can still buy carb "dip" cans from the auto parts store to soak your carbs in?**I mean in Ca**(EPA, nasty stuff really, STRONG odor!)

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1