650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Need some advice on electrical

Need some advice on electrical
    Forum Index -> Electrical
dreamerstaxidermy

PostPosted: May 20, 2005, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Need some advice on electrical

I recently puchased a 79 xs650, it needed alot of clean up. I have finished all of that and it runs fine, but I have no right turn signals and no headlight, I hooked up the right turn signals to the left turn signal wires to rule out that it might be the handle or the turnsignal its self it worked fine, so I assumed that it was a wire. I have chased through every wire on that thing and cant firgure it out. Yesterday on my chasing both turnsignals started working but they are not working again just on the right side . I am so confused about it, not sure what to do. Anybody have any advice for me. Please, I am going crazy... Thanks,
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2005, 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Need some advice on electrical

home.mindspring.com/~d.max/id8.html

Yes it is not cheap but it will walk you through your problem. The XS wiring system is a strange bird. Personally I think it has to be in the turn signal switch or a grounding problem. . Do you know how to slice up a circuit and determine where you have a bad connection using ohms? Start on the left circuit and take a ohms reading on the good circuit and then switch sides. Do the front then the back. Compare your readings. Bulbs, connectors or switch it has to be one of the three. Have you looked at a wiring schematic? Pretty simple really power runs through a flasher relay to the turn signal switch and it is then sent to either the left or right turnsignal circuit. (you can rule out the flasher relay since the left circuit works) If your bike was so crusty you can't rule out improper grounding. Lets hear back from you

Ken
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 21, 2005, 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need some advice on electrical

I would agree with Ken. Use a ohm meter to verify that you have good ground continuity at each light. You can use it as well to check your switch. If it's old and crusty use some electronics cleaner on the switch. You can also use the meter to check each wire from point to point to figure out where your problem lies. A very valueble tool to have in your shop.

Last edited by mo650chopper on May 21, 2005, 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
dreamerstaxidermy

PostPosted: May 21, 2005, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some advice on electrical

I think you might be right that it is in the left handle, I just bought another but it wont be here for a few days, I have checked with a meter over and over, and have chased though out the whole wiring system. I do know that the flasher is good on it. It came off a different working bike. In the handle I have no power coming to it. I will change that out and see if it doesnt take care of the problem. This is my first bike and I sometimes get in a bind about fixing it, but good thing is by the time I am done atleast I will know the bike inside and out. Thanks so much for the help, I just get frustrated sometimes.
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2005, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some advice on electrical

Based on the electrical schematic power comes through the flasher to the turn signal switch and is then distributed to the left or right side. If one side is working and not the other I think that pretty much rules out the flasher. I would pull the turn signal switch and give it a good cleaning. I use electrical contact cleaner and air to blow out the cobwebs. I don't know if you can disassemble the turnsignal switch on a 79 but it you can that would be the best. Watch out for small parts and flying springs. Shocked Sometimes if your careful you can solder a little bead of solder on the contact points to make up for wear points. Let us hear back from you
Photo Gallery
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2005, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some advice on electrical

have you studied this schematic
www.650motorcycles.com...2-2bob.jpg
It looks like you have not only a flasher but a canceling unit. So it could be in the CU. Check the connections
Photo Gallery
dreamerstaxidermy

PostPosted: May 21, 2005, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some advice on electrical

I have studied that schematic over and over, I think I could wire it in my sleep. I tried the CU unit and changed it with a operating on and thats not the problem, the other day when I was ready to give up for a bit, they both were working, They worked for a few trys and when I went to show my son, it stopped working again... just my luck... I am STRESSED!!!!! I have looked at that wiring for 4 days now tracing and checking. I had to take today off or I would stick some dynamite in the tank and blow it just to feel better. LOL
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2005, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need some advice on electrical

Looks like you have covered all of your bases but there is one other trick I have learned over the years and it has always worked for me. Get a 6-8 foot piece of 12-16 gauge wire and put an aligator clip on each end. Start by hooking a aligator clip to the battery and then testing one of the two turnsignals. If this works then you know that your bulb, ground and wiring to each turnsignal is good. Don't be afraid to pull on the wires and bulbs to insure a good connections. Then change the wire from the battery to the relay and work your way up the wiring harness towards the turnsignal switch. Do you see where I am going with this? The wiring schematic will help you figure out where to test as you move your way up from the battery to the relay and turnsignal switch etc.
Photo Gallery
KenInTN

PostPosted: July 1, 2005, 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need some advice on electrical

If you haven't figured out your problem Try This info and see if it helps.
home.mindspring.com/~k.../id10.html

www.mindspring.com/~d.max/

feel free to email me if you need help

www.mindspring.com/~d.max/

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1