650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Fuel Tank with loose coating inside

Fuel Tank with loose coating inside
    Forum Index -> Fuel
billc

PostPosted: January 29, 2007, 11:21 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank with loose coating inside

I have a fairly nice orginal paint tank for my 72 sx that I would like to keep using but here's the problem.Some time before I got it someone coated the inside now the coating is coming loose.I have never tried to remove coating from inside a tank once it was done,is it possible?Some idea's on how?I thought about scraping at it to get some of it loose then turn presure washer in their.Any other ideas? Thanks
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 30, 2007, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank with loose coating inside

sounds like a Kreem job gone bad there are several ways to remove it (check the web) but why was it done in the first place rust or leaks? either way you will have to be very careful if you want to save the paint job, read up on Kreem and Por 15 the most popular of the tank liners to get a idea of what you are dealing with and good luck
billc

PostPosted: January 31, 2007, 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank with loose coating inside

I should have put that in post,yes it is Kreem,Bike had sat 14yr's when I picked it up most likely with a full a tank of gas Crying or Very sad ,The kreem job is loose,can pull it away from tank,it is not falling apart inside tank.After cleaning carbs and getting this bike going Ijust don't want to take the chance of it coming apart.I have another tank that I'm using.I really don't know why it was coated in the first place. thanks Bill
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 31, 2007, 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank with loose coating inside

Acetone seems to be the most mentioned solvent for removing Kreeme but one person mentioned a soaking at the local radiator repair shop was the solution.

Acetone sounds messy but may be the only solution if you are trying to save the original finish.

Let us know how it turns out.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
billc

PostPosted: January 31, 2007, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank with loose coating inside

Thanks for the info guy's,I'd like to get this tank ready to use for this season.Been putting it off for a while now.It is the orignal tank for the bike and since the rest of the bike is orginal I'd like to use it if any way possible.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1