650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Needl roller swing arm pivot

Needl roller swing arm pivot
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 20, 2007, 12:35 am    Post subject: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Ok, I've bit the bullet and ordered the needle roller swing arm set from Mikes (and a new swing arm shaft). I've read some other posts saying the instructions are in German?????? Anyone got any tips for install??
I also ordered the tapered rollers for the front! So she should be like new soon! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 30, 2007, 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Well, my needle roller swing arm set up arrived today, and sure enough the bloody instructions are in German! Confused Confused
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 30, 2007, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Well type them in, or scan them with OCR and run it through babelfish.

babelfish.altavista.com/

Let us know your results.
Photo Gallery
beys

PostPosted: January 31, 2007, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

yamaman wrote:
...and sure enough the bloody instructions are in German! Confused Confused
well, thats we Germans get along the best Cool Cool Laughing
type it in and send me an email, I'll try to translate it for you.

Z TS 250/1 with sidecar '77
XS 650 Euro 447 Standard '80,
XT 500 '81
XS 650 US 5V4 Heritage '82
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 1, 2007, 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Einbauanleitung Schwinglager-Einbausatz

1. Losen Sie die folgenden Muttern und Bolzen:

a) Kettenspanner-Bolzen
b) Achs-Mutter
c) unterer Aufnahmebolzen des StoBdampfers
d)Bremsanker-Bolzen
e)Hintergabel-Befestigungbolzen

Thanks Beys, I'll just do 1 step at a time, as its a bit of a head !@#$

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 1, 2007, 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

2. Bauen Sie Hinterrad aus, die Antriebskette, den Bremsanker und die StoBdampher. Ziehen Sie den Schwingbolzen heraus und bauen Sie die Schwinge aus.

3. Entfernen Sie beide Lagerbuchsen, indem Sie sie mit einem Dorn herausschlagen.

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 1, 2007, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

4. Bauen Sie die Schwinglager mit einem Gummi- oder Plastikhammer in die schwinge ein. Es ist witchig, dass sie in der richtigen Position einebaut werden, und dass das Gehause des Lagers nicht beschadigt wird.

I;m getting the hang of this now, I see a lot of Lagers in there, so I shall make certain the workshop fridge is well stocked with plenty of Lagers before I begin! Laughing Laughing

kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 1, 2007, 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

The babelfish translation:

Fitting instruction swinging bearing installation set
1. Draw the following nuts/mothers and pins:
a) Chain tension adjuster pin
b) hub nut
c) of lower photograph pins of the StoBdampfers
d)Bremsanker pin
e)Hintergabel Befestigungbolzen

2. Remove rear wheel, the driving chain, the brake anchor and the StoBdampher. Pull the swinging pin out and develop you the rocker.

3. Remove both bushes, by driving them out with a thorn.

4. Build the swinging camps with a rubber or a plastic hammer in swing in. It is witchig that they are one-built in the correct position, and that the Gehause of the camp is not beschadigt.

aybe after a few altbiers they will make sense. I think you can get through step 3 sober but step 4 could be dicey.

I look forward to our German friends' translation.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: February 1, 2007, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

I'm gonna have to get me one of those "thorns" for driving bushings out ..... maybe a Bremsanker Pin Remover, too Very Happy
beys

PostPosted: February 1, 2007, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Well, here we go:

Fitting instruction swingarm bearing installation set

1. Loosen the following nuts and pins:
a) chainpuller pin
b) Shaft nut
c) lower shock absorber mounting bolts
d) brake rod bolt
e) Swing arm pivot bolt nut

2. Remove rear wheel,chain, brake rod and shock absorbers, pull out the pivot bolt and take out the swing arm.

3. Remove both bushings by driving them out with a (sorry, my dictionary says) thorn

4. Install the swing arm bearings in the swing arm using a rubber or plastic hammer.
Make sure installing them in the right position and not to damage the bearing casing

But that wasnt it all,no? Hope you can move along with this so far.
Rolling Eyes

XT 500 '81
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 1, 2007, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

So beat them out hard and beat them in easy. That's what I thought. Personally I'd take my swinging arm to a machine shop and press in the bearings, but that's just me.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: February 2, 2007, 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Beating the old bushings out with a drift can be pretty hard. It's easier to use a hand torch with a fine nozzle and burn the plastic till it shrivels; you can flick the bushing out with a screwdriver. When I've done that the swingarm surface hasn't gotten hot enough to damage the paint, and if you do blister it it's a quick fix anyway.

PostPosted: February 2, 2007, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Have the bearings pressed in Wink whether brass or needle type,they will distort from impact loads causing the pivot axle collar to bind up when installed. You want a smooth rotation of the collar.....Jack
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Lager Lager Lager!

Last edited by yamaman on February 3, 2007, 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Cheers, I have a press, and I tapped my old 1's out with a long 1/2" extension bar as a drift, they came out fine and good enough to reuse should the need ever arise!

Nice translation work fellas, heres the final instalments

5. Fetten Sie das Lager von innen mit Walzlagerfett gut ein. Stecken Sie die mitgelieferte Spezialhulse in die Schwinglager und setzen Sie links und rechts je eines der flachen Achsiallager an (vorher einfetten).
Achtung: Der sich drehende Innering gehort in Richtung Schwinge.

Setzen Sie die Schwinge in den Rahmen ein und ziehen Sie die Schwingbolzenmutter mit 3,0-4,0 KG/m an.
Prufen Sie, ob die Schwinge seitliches Spiel hat. Wenn ja, mit beiliegenden Ausgleichsscheiben ausgleeichen.
Achtung: Ziehen Sie die mutter nichtzu stark an.
Benutzen Sie nur hochwertiges Fett zum Schmieren des Schwinglagers und eder Schwinghulse.

6. Bauen Sie das Hinterrad, die Kette, den Bremsanker und die StoBdampher-genau umgekehrt- wie beim Ausbauen wiwder ein. Uderprufen Sie zuletzt die Kettenspannung.

Time to go have a lager!

beys

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

yamaman wrote:
Lager Lager Lager!

Bearing, Bearing, Bearing! Confused

XT 500 '81
beys

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

5.Grease the bearing plentyful[?;take enough grease! Wink abt]in the inner side using bearing grease
Fit the delivered special sleeve into the swingarm bearing and put one of the flat axial bearings
on the right and left side each(Grease before fitting)
Caution: the turning inner ring to fit on the swing arm side.

Install swing arm to frame and thighten Swing arm pivot bolt nut to 22-30 ft/lbs(30-40Nm)
Check swing arm for axial clearance and adjust with spacers delivered in the set if needed
Caution: Do not tighten the nut to strong
Only use high quality bearing grease for greasing bearings and sleeve

6. Install rear wheel, chain, brake rod and shok absorbers exactly inverse to removing
At last check chain tension.
[7. Sit back in your chair , admire your work and yourself and have a Lager (or more)]

XT 500 '81

Last edited by beys on February 3, 2007, 7:01 am; edited 3 times in total
beys

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

If anyone will translate this in an english you want to read in installing instructions( thinking of the German used in japanise or taiwanese instructions makes me freeze), I can phone up RĂ¼diger, who delivers the sets to Mike, to ask if they(he and Mike) are interested to ad those English instructions to the set.

XT 500 '81
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Nice work Beys, I'm having a nice cold bearing in your general direction cheers Wink
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

beys wrote:
Well, here we go:

Fitting instruction swingarm bearing installation set

1. Loosen the following nuts and pins:
a) chainpuller pin
b) Shaft nut
c) lower shock absorber mounting bolts
d) brake rod bolt
e) Swing arm pivot bolt nut

2. Remove rear wheel,chain, brake rod and shock absorbers, pull out the pivot bolt and take out the swing arm.

3. Remove both bushings by driving them out with a (sorry, my dictionary says) thorn

4. Install the swing arm bearings in the swing arm using a rubber or plastic hammer.
Make sure installing them in the right position and not to damage the bearing casing

But that wasnt it all,no? Hope you can move along with this so far.
Rolling Eyes
5.Grease the bearing plentyful[?;take enough grease! abt]in the inner side using bearing grease
Fit the delivered special sleeve into the swingarm bearing and put one of the flat axial bearings
on the right and left side each(Grease before fitting)
Caution: the turning inner ring to fit on the swing arm side.

Install swing arm to frame and thighten Swing arm pivot bolt nut to 22-30 ft/lbs(30-40Nm)
Check swing arm for axial clearance and adjust with spacers delivered in the set if needed
Caution: Do not tighten the nut to strong
Only use high quality bearing grease for greasing bearings and sleeve

6. Install rear wheel, chain, brake rod and shok absorbers exactly inverse to removing
At last check chain tension.
[7. Sit back in your chair , admire your work and yourself and have a Lager (or more)]

kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

Now the big question:

Are they worth the money????

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
beys

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

kingwj wrote:
Now the big question:

Are they worth the money????

You can only decide for yourself!

XT 500 '81
Jack

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

The needle bearings are definately worth the extra cost as the clearances are held alittle tighter,less wear but require higher maintenance to remove and rotate the pivot collar 90 degrees about once a year to promote evenly wear on the pivot collar ends,as there's very little movement of the swing arm and if remained at a stationary location could produce a flat spots. Even though the collar should of received heat treatment to prevent this occurence,it will show evidence of wear over time...Jack
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 18, 2008, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Needl roller swing arm pivot

The swingarm bushes are out of my newly-purchased 81. I don't know what they look like because the bike is still in the back of my pickup, where it will stay until the snow melts (another few days). I did replace swingarm bushes in my old '79 XS but, after reading this thread, I'm afraid my work was a bit primitive.

The worn-out bushes were not plastic but bronze. I used a hammer and a small, sharp chisel to cut them out. I don't remember (it's been 13 years) exactly how big the bushing ID is but -- because I'm gonna have to replace the bushes in my new scoot -- I've been thinking about how to get the old ones out this time.

Here's what I'm thinking (laugh if you like): Use a tap-set to thread the inside of the old bushing. Screw a bolt into the bushing and jerk it out with a slide hammer. Comments?

Let me know what y'all think of that idea.

Jimmy

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2