650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
Dent

PostPosted: November 2, 2006, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

I've got a set of mikes xs1 replica headpipes and I'm looking for some nice pea shooters to match. Does anyone know a source for a set like this?
Thanks

xs650-44a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.88 KB
 Viewed:  401 Time(s)

xs650-44a.jpg

xsfun

PostPosted: November 2, 2006, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

those might be from a norton, check these out

www.oldbritts.com/16_061978t.html
Jack

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Those are Bubs Commando Replica's,no longer being produced. Your luck of scoring a set Commando mufflers is to attend a local British ralley for a good price.............Jack
tracker79

PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Go to ebay under norton exhaust
Photo Gallery
Dent

PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how the emgo version performs compared to their replica Dustall wide mouth?
Jack

PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Dent.........what sound are you after? a true British note or something loud that'll wake the neighbors up at 2 AM in the morning Laughing .Jack
5twins

PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 13, 2009, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Dent

PostPosted: November 5, 2006, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Jack - I was going for looks and performance first, sound second. So I haven't really though too much about it. I like the british sound but I want people to hear me coming... safer right. The british pipes are nice but the price of the Dunstall replica's is nicer.
Jack

PostPosted: November 5, 2006, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Loud Pipes Save Lifes............"RUBBISH" Your moving forward and the exhaust pulse sound waves are traveling the opposite direction???????? Try the horn button. Laughing

The Dunstalls are loud and the fiber glass packing will require periodic re-packing to subtain the dunstall sound and they're quite heavy,atleast to me..............Jack
brinkdw

PostPosted: November 5, 2006, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Jack wrote:
Loud Pipes Save Lifes............"RUBBISH" Your moving forward and the exhaust pulse sound waves are traveling the opposite direction???????? Try the horn button. lol

The Dunstalls are loud and the fiber glass packing will require periodic re-packing to subtain the dunstall sound and they're quite heavy,atleast to me..............Jack
Turn your pipes forward so on coming traffic can hear you.

PostPosted: November 6, 2006, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Jack wrote:
Loud Pipes Save Lifes............"RUBBISH" Your moving forward and the exhaust pulse sound waves are traveling the opposite direction????????

I personally like to be noticed by cars. The sound waves from my exhaust are traveling faster than my bike in all directions. It just changes pitch when you go by because of the doppler effect and relative distance. Your bike might be super-sonic. That's pretty sweet. Very Happy
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: November 6, 2006, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

To each is own,but can you show me one study where there's documentation where loud pipes save lifes? I didn't think so, cuz there's no such study that exsist. It's just some wild myth concocked by a harley rider is a desperate act to prevent legislation from passing laws imposing the requirement that all motorcycles must be equipt with some type of noice reduction( Mufflers ).
The fact is exhaust sound waves on a motorcycle are projected behind the cycle and with sound compressions it is difficult to nearly impossible to hear them. Ever wonder why some idots get run over by trains or why one might crap his pants by a fly- by F14?.....Have A good Day............Jack
jopower

PostPosted: February 20, 2007, 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

I have a contact that has new Norton reverse megaphone pipes. It's a classic looking and smelling little place with big lathes behind the counter taking up half the floor space. Last month there was a Norton 850 Commando and a BSA 650 looking near new in the little lobby. They don't list the muffs at their site so you'll have to drop them a note. Tell 'em a local sent you.

I personally talked to the owner and there are 2 types of Norton Commando up-swept muffs: the smooth look muff (no crease at the widest diam) and the sharp look muff (crease at widest diam). The inlet is 1-3/8". He suggested a chrome neckdown if you have headpipe diam mismatch (which works well as the "upsweep" turn is NOT on the muffler but the pipe so you can combine the 2 functions on one small cheap part).

These muffs are well made and quiet at idle, mello while cruzin' but roar on the throttle (like a Norton did). They look excellent and weigh half that of our Yamaha originals. They are better finished than the EMGO's on the "oldbrit" site at the top of this tread (no welds showing to start with). Sorry, no Yam headpipes. They also have BSA type muffs (1-1/2" inlet) but nothin's as sexy as those Norton muffs. Price? About $330 a pair (and can be got separately if you land metal side down somewheres) Very Happy

Acme Machine, Inc. www.acmemac.com/index.html

Contact Info:

* Telephone: 970.482.0354
* FAX: 970.482.0354
* Address: 1307 North College Ave.
* Ft. Collins, CO 80524

Email:
* customerservice @ acmemac.com
* manufacturing @ acmemac.com
* repairwork @ acmemac.com
* sales @ acmemac.com

Note: it's possible they get their parts from Colorado Norton Works: www.coloradonortonworks.com/ (but they didn't say so).
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 28, 2007, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Any of these suit?

www.safe-servers.co.uk...flers.html
Photo Gallery
scott

PostPosted: March 28, 2007, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Jack wrote:
To each is own,but can you show me one study where there's documentation where loud pipes save lifes? I didn't think so, cuz there's no such study that exsist. It's just some wild myth concocked by a harley rider is a desperate act to prevent legislation from passing laws imposing the requirement that all motorcycles must be equipt with some type of noice reduction( Mufflers ).
The fact is exhaust sound waves on a motorcycle are projected behind the cycle and with sound compressions it is difficult to nearly impossible to hear them. Ever wonder why some idots get run over by trains or why one might crap his pants by a fly- by F14?.....Have A good Day............Jack
why would you need a study to tell you that people hear loud noises and that sound, even if projected in one direction, can be heard in all 360 degrees.

am i the only one who can hear a motorcycle before it gets to me?
maybe you are just tryign to be a stuborn internet tough guy who seriously deserves no ones attention.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 28, 2007, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

In the UK its been well known for ages amongst the bike fraternity that loud exhausts may mess with your neighbours shakra's Smile

But it does make everyone aware of the fact that something is coming.

Imagine sounding your horn all the time as you drove along!

Anyone who thinks that a bike cant be heard coming thinks that a bike is faster than sound!

Indeed loud exhausts are relatively harmless...they come...they go...

There are many stories regarding peope stepping back from the kurb
Photo Gallery
Dent

PostPosted: April 3, 2007, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Thanks for all the leads guys. I just got a set of cheapies for now. Its hard to justify 240 bucks for a set of pipes when you only paid 250 for the bike.
Jack

PostPosted: April 3, 2007, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Hey Scott..........why don't you take your 2 cents of non constructive criticsim and stick where the sun doesn't shine pale,we're all entitled to voice ones opinion and if my opinion offened you in any way,tuff s***,then maybe you should'nd of stopped by to post, atleast that's what I do..........Jack
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 4, 2007, 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

I know this for sure-the right resonance will project forward, particularly a roaring twin, I have a TRX 850 as well as my XS and have ridden in the dark on some of the most kangaroo infested roads in Aus and never seen 1! Riding 4 cyl bikes, with rather raunchy pipes, is another story and seems not to project forward as well! Must be that lovely off beat sound!
cscarroll

PostPosted: April 4, 2007, 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

It's not souly the frequency that dictates whether a sound will project forward, but more the position of the muffler and the shape of the tip.

Also depends alot on the environment where you are riding; if there is a bunch of buildings for the sound to reflect off of and such.

It seems common sense that louder pipes could help alert other drivers to our presence, however, I'm frustrated by the use of this by some riders to be obnoxious. I think this only hurts the sport in the end.

Photo Gallery
midnrider

PostPosted: March 8, 2008, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

I have turn outs and I can really hear them when I going between say buildings...I like the loudness most of the time but after a while on long rides I find myself thinking something quieter might be nice...
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Whats the matter Jack are you having a herpes flare up or where you just born an idiot?????
royfisk

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

I don't know but i cant find any study. I also know I lived in new Hampshire most of my life and they have no helmet laws. While I never wear them and always use to have drag pipes. also had 4 into one with just a 2.5" turn out no mufflers and no baffles on cb-400f . No longer hear so well.. I believe they get you noticed but don't think they actually save lives. first of all drag pipes really bark when your walking up through the gears but quiet when cruising. And 50 +% major injury motorcycle accidents are from crates pulling out in front of CRUISING motorcycles. So yea when your out causing trouble they may help. either way there expensive, tickets,burnt valves, and deafness.
tweedy64

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can get a set of these?

Got BSA type mufflers on mine they sound and look sweet, not too loud but loud enough too turn heads. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2