650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > ... ---... (SOS)

... ---... (SOS)
    Forum Index -> Electrical
DarkKnight

PostPosted: October 24, 2006, 11:11 am    Post subject: ... ---... (SOS)

I need help and I have a feeling only someone who has seen this (or something close) may be able to help. So... Here it goes. *Ahem* I put together 2 650's to make one (hopefully) running one. The wiring harness on the frame I am using was mangled so I used the harness off of the donor bike. The bikes are identical, and so are the wiring harnesses. So the harness fit right on and connected perfectly. I was happy. WAS. When everything came together and it was time to start workig out the bugs, I put in the headlight, cleaned the connections and replaced the bulbs, and tried the switches. Things got interesting. Tail light works, as do brake lights. ONE (the front left) signal light works. Doesn't blink but comes on when signal switch is engaged left. When signal switch is changed to right headlight turns off. Hi/Lo switch does nothing. I checked the grounds, they are okay. Help? Anyone?
Photo Gallery
xsfun

PostPosted: October 24, 2006, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: ... ---... (SOS)

first try switching out the flasher unit under the tank if you have the other one , but sounds like either wires are crossed or a shorted turn signal switch.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 24, 2006, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ... ---... (SOS)

First I feel your pain, electrical is a bitch but if you go through it in a logical way it is pretty simple. Most of the XS wiring involves only connectors which should make rewiring pretty simple. I'd disconnect the battery, pull the headlight out and inspect each connector to make sure the wires are all fully inserted. Also under the seat and along the backbone. Next use an ohmmeter to check for continuity through the connector. I'd also grab a wiring diagram and make sure the correct wires are in the correct spot in the connectors. If you don't have a diagram PM me with your year and model and I will scan my manual and send you a color copy, makes life easier. I assume when you put the new harness in you 'fondled' the harness to check for melted wires, if not I'd do that. If you still have a problem you might want to swap out the main switch and the handle bar switches just to see if that helps. The XS really is quite a simple bike from an electrical standpoint.

There is a wiring diagram for the TX650 here:

www.650rider.com/coppe...s=254.html

I hate electrical problems.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
79cafe

PostPosted: October 24, 2006, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ... ---... (SOS)

Check the colours of the conections to the head and signal lights in the headl ight bucket again. The dark green and dark blue wires used for signals are easily mistaken for the blue and black going to the head light. Also I agree with xsfun that the flasher may not be working. Good luck with it.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: ... ---... (SOS)

check your handle bar grounds(handle bar to frame, switch bodies to bar ) if the switches don't have a good ground you can get back flow thur other wires
DarkKnight

PostPosted: October 29, 2006, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ... ---... (SOS)

All right... So far.... found a bad ground and pinched wires that were crossing each other..... but now no power to headlight!!!!
Photo Gallery
DarkKnight

PostPosted: October 29, 2006, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ... ---... (SOS)

Well that was easy.... headlight doesn't come on when it's not running. But now I need more help. I'm putting a new post up because maybe others need the same. Thanks for the advice so far guys!
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1