650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Suspension preload settings recommendations?

Suspension preload settings recommendations?
    Forum Index -> Frames
jdigga

PostPosted: October 16, 2006, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Suspension preload settings recommendations?

Wasn't sure which area to put this in, so if it doesn't belong here please move.

I drained the oil out of my front shocks today. There was barely any in the left one and the oil in both was nasty. No wonder the front end was so soft.

When I removed the caps I noticed they have 3 setting for preload (at least that's what I think it's for). They were both at the lowest setting, as in least amount of preload.

What's the rule of thumb for those settings? I'm a heavier guy (a bit north of 250lbs) so should I go to the highest setting?

The same question goes for the rear--should I increase those all the way as well?

Thanks...
5twins

PostPosted: October 16, 2006, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension preload settings recommendations?

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 13, 2009, 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdigga

PostPosted: October 16, 2006, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension preload settings recommendations?

Excellent. I'm excited to get this puppy sorted out. Riding home on the highway was scary last night. I felt like I was hanging on for dear life!

I think the upgraded tapered roller steering bearing will wait until during the winter.

1981 Yamaha XS650H *sold*
royfisk

PostPosted: October 17, 2006, 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension preload settings recommendations?

Dont stop there, the bearings do make a big differance and is a good place to start but dont forget the soft springs to begin with that are now old and softer still. Then link the lower legs and this shoul set up the front end. Now for the rear suspension, a set of 13- 13.5 shocks with a 90/130 rear spring rate and a new set of swingarm bushungs, and sleeve and bolt should set that puppy up fairly well for us heavier guys.
jdigga

PostPosted: October 17, 2006, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension preload settings recommendations?

Thanks, roy. I definitely want go over the bike in detail and address anything that is either old or worn out (which seems to be pretty much everything!). But I have to exercise a little bit of self-control, otherwise I'll be spending far more in parts than I did on the bike itself. Gotta do it a little at a time.

Also the little kid in me still wants to get a couple more rides in before the winter sleep so at the moment I just want to do the minimum requirements to be roadworthy. I thought this past weekend was going to be the last good one, but it looks like this coming weekend will have some decent riding weather as well.

Any thoughts on this Swingarm Needle Bearing Conversion Kit? Benefits, potential performance/reliability gains over stock replacements?
royfisk

PostPosted: October 18, 2006, 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension preload settings recommendations?

Im sold Ive done a couple of customers bikes this summer and found that when you change bushings that the sleeve and pivot bolt to are useually shot, therefore bringing the parts cost to more then the needle kit. Some have said that needles will rust up on the kit when ridden in the rain but I use to do golf course equipment maintenance and quickly switched the grease being used to a moisture disapting type and as long as I gave the bearings a shot every time after it rained the problem was gone. Dont over grease one shot on the fitting every month or so should do it.
Jack

PostPosted: October 18, 2006, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension preload settings recommendations?

problem with the XS is the suspension system is under sprung and a man of your size will diffinately notice evil handling. If ya address one end ya need to address the other end or just wait till ya can afford both. I have a set of BMW HD fork springs for 35mm forks that might swap over,need to know the over all length of the XS,you might need to fab some preload spacers but they're yours just pay shipping. If you want them............Jack
jdigga

PostPosted: October 18, 2006, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension preload settings recommendations?

Appreciate the offer, Jack--depending on how the weekend goes, I might take you up on it.

Yesterday I put in some fresh fork oil and maxed out the preload front and back. It's still on the centerstand as the side covers and sump plate are off the bike awaiting gaskets, but whereas before I could compress the front fork a few inches simply by leaning forward, now it barely budges.

I'm eager to see what a difference new oil and more preload makes. I rode a friend's '78 CB550K and felt very confident on it. After that my bike just felt like crap. So we'll see what happens on Saturday...

Jay

1981 Yamaha XS650H *sold*

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1