650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Cafe' riding position for a newbie

Cafe' riding position for a newbie
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
scotts

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 9:47 am    Post subject: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

Love the Cafe' look, never even sat on one with the full treatment.
I'm a new rider. How much does the riding dynamic change when you put on clubmans/cafe' bars, rearsets, etc. ?
I can't imagine it being much different than some of the new Japanese bikes....
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

Just one small comfort issue. Modern Japanese bikes halve forward angled seats. Classic bikes have flat seats that can cut into your inner thighs.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

I reckon the footpegs on the xs are too far forward for anyone over 6' especially with ace bars or clip-ons...best to fit some rear-sets...
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

I swapped out the Special handle bars for Daytona bars on my '83. I'm 6'2" and I find it very comfortable with the stock pegs.
I considered lower bars, but again, I'm a newish rider and didn't want anything TOO low on my firts bike.
Any other comments, experiences....??
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

Clip-ons can fold back when the bike decides to fall over. I know we would never drop a bike. You can dent a very expensive tank if that happens. I did that on my R90S in 1976.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

Put drag bars on mine, and love the way it rides now. Can get nice and low for those 80mph plus jaunts. It feels like a new standard style motor cycle rather than a cruiser.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

yeah I agree,cant beat drag bars..Ive actually this week just swapped my Kwack Z1 bars on the XS for my old set of drags, Its like having a new bike...
Photo Gallery
jasonrmorrow

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

As for riding position...here are some with me on my xs cafe...i'm 6' 1" but most of my height is my torso...i only wear 32" inseam pants. These are fairly deep drop clubman bars...i think i'm going to go with real clip ons after a season of trying these out. Its not near as bad of a position as i thought...i never did think about the seat angle...i think i'll have a wedge shaped seat made...without too much wedge or i'll slide into the tank and...well...

This is feet on stock pegs, and then an estimation of rearset pegs.

MNCaferacer

PostPosted: May 29, 2007, 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

It's not uncomfortable really. You'll find out real quick how good your back muscles are though! haha

Just depends on how you want it though. I ride my bikes with the clamps dropped and the clips REALLY low to speed up the handling a bunch.

Here's a pic of my last KZ cafe...

Allowed for a SERIOUS tuck when riding, good control, and really increased steering ability in corners. A little countersteer and the damn thing was in a severe lean... which is what I like. Twisted Evil
scotts

PostPosted: June 1, 2007, 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' riding position for a newbie

Nice looking bike. I always liked the look of the old KZ's. I almost bought a MINT KZ400 about two years ago and still kick myself for letting that one get away.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1