650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Clutch about to die?

Clutch about to die?
    Forum Index -> Drive
JRod650

PostPosted: June 23, 2005, 11:48 am    Post subject: Clutch about to die?

I've got a '74 650 that I've aquired and have gotten up and running. Everything seems fine on it except I have trouble finding the spot where the clutch is going to release, it seems to change a little on me depending on if I'm on a hill, etc. Sometimes when I'm starting on an incline the clutch will not disengage even though I've let the lever all the way out.

During normal operation (i.e. running down the road) the bike shifts through the gears without problems. Sometimes the shifter pedal will stick up and I will have to tap it down before I can upshift again (generally between 2-3 and 3-4).

I guess my question then is this a problem of clutch adjustment or should I start saving for new friction plates? On an automobile I'd start saving for the new clutch, but I know these bikes are a little different.

If I do adjust the clutch, how time consuming would it be?

Thanks,
Jerrod
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: June 23, 2005, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch about to die?

Jerrod
Are you a member of the XS650 bulletin board? If you are there is a site that explains how to clean up a clutch. Sometimes its plate some times its the oil you are using, some times its something else.

Let me know

Ken
Photo Gallery
JRod650

PostPosted: June 24, 2005, 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch about to die?

Are you talking XS650 Garage or something else? Could you post the link? I don't think it's the oil because I just changed it (granted it was cheap Shell 20W-50).

I see you're from Beavercreek. I'm grew up next to Beaver Creek on the other side of the state. My Mom's from Cincy though.

I appreciate the help. Have a good weekend.
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: June 25, 2005, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch about to die?

Jerrod
Try this site
www.ficrc.pp.fi/pohja_...y_2004.htm

Also did you join the 650 bulletin board yet?

Look here
www.micapeak.com/lists/YAM650/FAQ

Let me know when you join

Ken
Photo Gallery
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: June 25, 2005, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch about to die?

Jerrod
This site keeps truncating the first internet address. Give me your email address and I will send it to you. Looks like the second address for the micapeak came in just fine

Ken
Photo Gallery
JRod650

PostPosted: June 27, 2005, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch about to die?

Ken,

jewing @ vt.edu

Thanks a lot.

Jerrod
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: June 27, 2005, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch about to die?

J
Let me know if this answers your questions

K
Photo Gallery
jdschooler

PostPosted: June 28, 2005, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch about to die?

After you take it for a ride and get the clutch heated up come to a stop can you shift into neutral easy? The 650 has a wet clutch and straight 20-50 motor oil isn't good enough to keep it cool since it is an air cooled engine. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic 20-50 and it works great. It is specially formulated for air cooled V-Twins with a wet clutch. It can be hard to find and can cost as much as $10 a quart but I found it here for $6 per quart.

As far as adjust the clutch it takes all of about 5 min twice. Here is the procedure.

1. Screw in your cable adjuster all the way into the lever. This takes all the tension off of the cable.

2. Remove the clutch adjustment cover on the left hand side of the engine case.

3. Loosen the lock nut (i think its 13mm).

4. Turn the screw counter clockwise a turn or two to take all the pressure off.

5. Now slowly and gently turn the screw back clockwise until you feel the slightest pressure/resistance.

6. Back the screw up about 1/4 turn and re tighten the lock nut (but not too tight).

7. Replace the cover.

8. Readjust the cable adjust so you have about 1/8 to 1/4 play (wherever you like the feel).

And away you go....You may want to take it for a ride and make any fine tuning adjustments.

If the oil change and the adjustment don't do the trick than I would spend $50 and get new clutch disks and pressure springs.

Good Luck,

Let us know how you do.

Later
Jeff

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1