650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Anyone ever tried this?????

Anyone ever tried this?????
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
crazylegz70

PostPosted: May 6, 2007, 3:23 am    Post subject: Anyone ever tried this?????

Twisted Evil You guys all seem to help each other out so i just thought i would ask...........may be off the wall.....

I have a stock 1979 xs650 and i was wondering if i could replace the back shocks with air cylinders for a car application? I realize that the chain would change length, but my parts bike looks incredible with out the shocks on it, and i dont want to hardtail my main bike. please let me know.

thanks guys
tracker79

PostPosted: May 6, 2007, 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever tried this?????

What kind of air cylinders ya talking about?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 6, 2007, 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever tried this?????

Maybe paint the shock springs and shock body satin black. Didn't care for all the shinny springy looking thing either....

John

rear shocks.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.72 KB
 Viewed:  5483 Time(s)

rear shocks.jpg

Photo Gallery
crazylegz70

PostPosted: May 6, 2007, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever tried this?????

I am planning on using air cylinders from DEI, the same ones they use on cars for air ride.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 6, 2007, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever tried this?????

My proctologists would approve...

.....John Underwood

Last edited by xsjohn on May 7, 2007, 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
tracker79

PostPosted: May 6, 2007, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever tried this?????

I guess anything is possible, you`ll never hear me say it can`t be done. I got air ride on my electra glide and i love it. Can ya post a pic of what yer wanting to put on there, only thing comes to mind is a big ole air bag.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 7, 2007, 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever tried this?????

Could check the older hondas. My friends 1980 cb900 has them front and rear. A few air tubes and an air inlet. Doesn't look impossible to adapt if you could get the shocks to fit on the xs...

John
Photo Gallery
crazylegz70

PostPosted: May 7, 2007, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever tried this?????

yea i got to lookin at the parts bike and how nice it sat with no shocks and i was tryin to figure out the best way to lower mine. The only thing is that i would be completely replaceing the shocks in the rear. Not to hard tho!!!
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2007, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever tried this?????

WHAT ABOUT AN AIRBAG SYSTEM? I WOULD IMAGINE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND ONE FROM A SALVAGE YARD?
ALL YOU NEED IS A SMALL COMPRESSOR YOU COULD SELECT HOW HARD OR SOFT YOU WANT IT. WOULD REQUIRE SOME MODIFICATION.
I SHOULD THINK YOU COULD WEDGE A UNIT MOUNT UNDER THE VEE CROSS BRACING THAT HOLDS THE BATTERY BOX. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YEAR YOUR ARE RUNNING
BUT THE SWING ARM GOT LONGER BY ALMOST 2 INCHES IN 81 TILL THE END OF PRODUCTION I HAVE A 73 TX WITH AN 81 SWING ARM.
WOULD GIVE YOU MORE SPACE TO PLAY WITH.

JUST A THOUGHT
Photo Gallery
crazylegz70

PostPosted: May 7, 2007, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever tried this?????

i will post some pics on here and let you guys see what the parts bike looks like also

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1