650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Embarrassing question

Embarrassing question
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
crashcourse

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 10:42 pm    Post subject: Embarrassing question

Okay so...I can't figure out the easy way to put my '81 special on its center stand. Seems like you should just put it on the ground, lift, and pull, but the thing doesn't budge. Never had to before, but now I'll be putting her in storage and it seems better to store her on the center. Or is it? As far as I know the whole thing is stock. Tricks? Steroids? Rude remarks?

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

put some a$$ behind it... if it starts to roll forward on you hit the front brake build up some my strength and pull back harder.... =)
crashcourse

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

So it is easier if you're sitting on it?

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

It is a tough bike to get on the center stand. Put your right hand under the rail and lift, the best advice I git on this, and I do it every time now, roll the back tire onto atleast a peice of 3/4 wood or somethik of the kind, it makes it sooo much easier and 1" even easier and 1 and 1/2" well that might be more trouble thatn its worth trying to roll the bike onto it but that would work also you get the idea.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

Here's the best I can describe. DO lift some but mostly step DOWN hard on the center stand while lifting up and back on left grip and grab bar left side of seat. .

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
BSABarb

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

Hi Guys,

Not having the brute strength to hoist them up on the center stand, I give myself enough room, and roll it backwards for three or four feet, and then while she's still moving, I stomp down on the center stand. The momentum of the bike lifts it right up on the center stand.

Works great, but not as good as the sidecar....it's always centered! Very Happy

Barb

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

All good advice . If you put shorter shocks on, it gets worse.
twinsarehot

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

yeah, I'm a tiny dude, but it you use one hand to grab the handlebars and the other to grab the tail section of the bike (grab bar or frame) then you step on the center stand until it is against the ground, you should be able to yank back and lift with all your weight to pull it up.

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

pumps wrote:
Here's the best I can describe. DO lift some but mostly step DOWN hard on the center stand while lifting up and back on left grip and grab bar left side of seat.
twinsarehot wrote:
...use one hand to grab the handlebars and the other to grab the tail section of the bike (grab bar or frame) then you step on the center stand until it is against the ground, you should be able to yank back and lift with all your weight to pull it up.
+ 1.
Standing on the left side of the bike, I put ALL my weight on the centerstand lever, while pulling up and rearward (with both hands) on the grab bar.

Anyone who can put these bikes on the centerstand while astride the bike must be a monster. Shocked

Joseph's trick of having a piece of wood under the rear tire is a smart idea!
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

Well, we have to make a distinction between the standard bikes with an 18" rear wheel and the Specials with a 16" rear wheel. I have one of each.

Yamaha in it's wisdom did not change the design of the center stand when they introduced the Specials with the 16" rear wheel.

The difference is that the center stand is closer to the ground with a 16" rear wheel which means that the center stand does not extend down as much when it initially touches the ground, making it far more difficult to put a Special on the stand than a standard.

Rolling the rear 16" wheel onto a piece of wood, even just a 1/2" high piece of wood, compensates for the lower center stand by raising the frame. A 1" piece of wood would be even better.

I have no problem at all putting my '78 standard with its 18" rear wheel up on the center stand. I use the piece of wood trick with my '81 Special.

In both cases I put my full weight on the extended lever of the stand and pull up on the side bar.

This means that I cannot use the center stand away from the garage with the '81 Special unless I carry a small piece of wood with me, which I sometimes do if I anticipate parking the bike for an extended period of time.

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

use the old motoguzzi trick. lift UP on the bike with one hand as you push down with your foot. DONT TRY AND PULL THE BIKE BACK! let your leg do most of the pushing.... have not seen a bike yet that requires allot of effort in getting on center stand. but guzzi's are a real bitch to do...
Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
lordstradmor

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

I used to do the "stand on the stand lever and heft it backwards" thing, until the arm snapped off...
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

650wiki.org/index.php/..._technique
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

I personally never use my kick stand and I'm actually going to remove it eventually. I think pumps gave a good written example, I think you just need to practice, it actually does not take that much strength to pop it up onto the center stand, alot of it is getting an efficient routine down.

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

okay, that helps.

Next question: Where are the points? From the manual it looks like they are behind the round plate above the spark plugs, but they aren't there. Does it even have points? I'm trying to get the bike ready for winter, and it says to oil them.

And is draining the fuel as simple as disconnecting the lines from the carbs and tank?

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

If you have an 81 it won't have points, I believe the last year with points was 79.

On my 78 there is a drain screw on the bottom of the carb, 81 uses a different carb then mine but I'm sure there would be a drain screw on yours as well, should be on the lowest part of the float bowl.

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

that makes sense, I'll look for them. And in case my previous post was a bit ambiguous, I finally did get it on the stand.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

'81 does not have point's.TCI ignition system.And yes, it is best to store the bike on the centerstand, take's allot of the weight off the tire's, so no 'flat spot's' come springtime.
Joseph

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Embarrassing question

Quote::
I used to do the "stand on the stand lever and heft it backwards" thing, until the arm snapped off...

My stand also broke the leg with the arm broke right above the foot. It was still hanging on so I had my granddad weld it for me. The wood under the tire will keep from putting that much pressure on the stand to break it.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1