650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Want a unique XS650 ?

Want a unique XS650 ?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Srinath

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Want a unique XS650 ?

Leave it completely stock. Especially if its an 81 on special.
I cant get over the fact that every one has a bobber or a cafe or a tracker or a chopper ... very cool y'all. Harley got nothing on xs650 people.
I am building a stocker ... and gonna turn it into a brat style bobber.
Cool.
Srinath.
gordonscott

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

Srinath wrote:
Leave it completely stock. Especially if its an 81 on special.
I cant get over the fact that every one has a bobber or a cafe or a tracker or a chopper ... very cool y'all. Harley got nothing on xs650 people.
Cool.
Srinath.
here you go, as stock as I could find, one owner with title. Anyone want to buy it?

1977-xs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.48 KB
 Viewed:  290 Time(s)

1977-xs.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

I like it. Looks familiar somehow....Not as nice as yours but giving it lots of TLC (translation is spending $$$ on parts).

Gordon do you have a side view? I'd like a better view of your rack. I just won one on ebay but it's not here yet.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
tnine

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

this is dumb as hell. the age old "stock vs modified".
how about just build whatever the hell you want.
and im gonna go out on the limb here and say that not "everyone" has chop or a bob for a xs650, it seems to me that comments like these only come from people who are

1. too old
2. cant build

and im sure thats not true but whatever.
stop bitching. its all a personal preference.
and mine is id rather see more modified bikes.
gordonscott

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

tnine wrote:
and im gonna go out on the limb here and say that not "everyone" has chop or a bob for a xs650, it seems to me that comments like these only come from people who are

1. too old
2. cant build

Me myself could care less about stock or custom, although I like custom because it gives me something to do Very Happy To old? never! Can't build? well I try Wink

cimg4759.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.98 KB
 Viewed:  283 Time(s)

cimg4759.jpg

cimg1334.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.46 KB
 Viewed:  309 Time(s)

cimg1334.jpg

cimg3032.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.78 KB
 Viewed:  280 Time(s)

cimg3032.jpg

gordonscott

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

Gordon do you have a side view? I'd like a better view of your rack. I just won one on ebay but it's not here yet.[/quote] here you go...

copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.69 KB
 Viewed:  257 Time(s)

copy.jpg

gordonscott

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

Gordon do you have a side view? I'd like a better view of your rack. I just won one on ebay but it's not here yet.[/quote] here you go...
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

I'm a stock guy but that's for me. I figure a guy can do whatever he wants to his own and I have great admiration for the work put into many of them.
Gordon looks like I'll have to move my tail bag huh?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

pumps wrote:
I'm a stock guy but that's for me. I figure a guy can do whatever he wants to his own and I have great admiration for the work put into many of them.
Gordon looks like I'll have to move my tail bag huh?
looks that way but no matter, you can hold a lot more on the rack anyway Very Happy Glad you found one I know you've been looking for a while Cool

Barbara

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

Hi Guys,

Gee, '77"D" models are so beautiful.....I love 'em, even if they aren't painted the nice dark blue, which is the color mine started life.

"Old"----yeah, probably. I only have two engines on the bench right now, in the process of rebuilding. One XS, one BSA.

"Can't build?" (See above)

There will come a day, probably my granddaughters will see it, when a nice, stock XS650 twin will be like a Vincent Black Shadow is today: to cut it up will be heresy, and a felony in most places. Right now there are lots of them around, a compliment to their reliability and general feeling of being "right". So the present fodder for chopping will in time become a collectible, and I'm not totally good with that. I believe that bikes are to ride, not to look at in a museum.

Of course, my (so-called) stock 1977"D" has a '75 tank, and the side panels are painted black. The front fender and seat are from a '75, and the mufflers are borrowed from a Special. The low-rise bars are aftermarket, purchased at our local Kawasaki dealer. So although I think of her as stock, she really isn't.

In fact, does anyone really have a totally stock bike that they regularly use? I mean really stock---everything but the air in the tires came from the factory. Seriously, I'd love to see a picture and read about it.

"Stock looking"? Yep, I'll settle for that..... Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
Millie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

tnine wrote:

1. too old
2. cant build

Seems the only bitching is coming from you Laughing
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

I'm so glad I'm and engine man.......I was always under the impression that women decorate and men fix things........ Laughing

Ah what the hell I'm always in trouble anyway

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

.....yeah, well, you are in trouble now, John..... Twisted Evil

Kidding, of course. I like both! Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
Millie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

Srinath wrote:

Leave it stock.

Cool.

Srinath.

You just contradicted yourself. Is it stock or is it Brat Style?
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

xsjohn wrote:
I'm so glad I'm and engine man.......I was always under the impression that women decorate and men fix things........ Laughing

Ah what the hell I'm always in trouble anyway

xsjohn
I’m jealous! I wish I were an engine man Sad I can keep my stuff running ok but never got in deep with tearing down a motor to it’s core (two stroke exception). I would like to do a rebuild for my sidecar rig but feel intimidated somewhat when it comes to perfomance mods Confused I have modest performance goals in mind, just want it reliable and maybe a little extra torque in the right rpm range to pull the hack, cam maybe? I’d be fine with 55-60mph max cruise speed (short distance) because I just run it around backcountry roads mostly anyway. I need some school’in for the secret "sidecar motor formular" Rolling Eyes P.S. I live in Mass but I go to Mooresville NC often hint hint Razz p.p.s. sorry to get off track from the original post context Rolling Eyes

cimg4986.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.64 KB
 Viewed:  285 Time(s)

cimg4986.jpg

despecial

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

dont worry gordon-these motors are very user friendly-they have their quirks sure but its quite nice being able to get into the gearbox without pulling the head

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

scotts wrote:
Srinath wrote:

Leave it stock.

Cool.

Srinath.

You just contradicted yourself. Is it stock or is it Brat Style?

Stock for now. Then after its running well ... I would start to brat style it.
I also think that flat seat style like the 77 ones but shorter and narrower is called a brat style ... Laughing ... if not ... sorry what ever that is called, that's what I am modding it to ...
Cool.
Srinath.
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

These are timed with an advance that comes on a bit early for really good bottom torque.......especially the electronic TCI models........wouldn't hurt to play with retarding the timing a bit to see if it gives it some more usable torque at the lower revs......many more agressive cams will be very noisy........small diameter exhaust will give better low end..........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

Gordonscott,
Scroll down to Dave Baths Special with the rig. This bike will lift the front very easy
www.xs650.org.au/mempics2.html
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: November 28, 2009, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

I don't get it u bitch about no stock bikes then you tell us your building a brat style??? Brat style is for people that want a bobber but cant weld.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

Gordons bikes are what Yamaha shouldve made the XS look like
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
gggGary

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

82 heritage special pretty close to stock. Shorter handle bars bronze swing arm bushings roller steering bearings about the only changes and I am thinking about going back to buckhorns. I just found a set of stock air filters in good shape. Pretty sure it's getting it's collecter plate this year. It started as a barn find. It just turned 10K there are now 2 other XS650's in the shed awaiting decisions. Some mods are pretty likely. Related question is a Special II really a roadster frame? Seems like it from what I am seeing on the one that just showed up.
The Heritage special side cover labels are back on now.
danno

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

gggGary,are you sure your bike isn't a 1983 model? The '82 Heritage (at least for the US market ) had a blacked-out treatment on the gauge cluster,headlight bucket,headlight ears,fenders,turn signals,and lower fork tubes. No matter,your bike certainly is a beauty! It looks to be very well kept.
gggGary

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a unique XS650 ?

I could be off a year, too many bikes, not enough gray matter. I know what you mean the year before had much more black on it. I had one for a couple of months. One of the few things I would change on this bike would be to switch to the chrome front engine mount.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2