650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Bens bullit bobber

Bens bullit bobber
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
benjamoid14

PostPosted: October 17, 2009, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Bens bullit bobber

I decided to call this bike a "bullit bobber" because I will be using parts from a bullit bike, but still being a bobber... I like it.

This is my second bike build, my first one was an 80 sr250 here it is:

It was a pretty simple build, cut the tail off, added some down bars to the swingarm, put some mini apes on it and re paint.

Here is what it was when I got it

I got it for $450 from a bike bone yard, motor blown, but the rest was good.

I quickly stripped it and and parted out most of it, I only need the frame, motor, front forks, and some wiring.

Now im getting into the fab stage, my favorite part!

The rear section will come off soon, I needed to keep it so i can mount the swing arm. I will be using it to get my axle placement correct, then building a jig to hold the axle and plates and building the hard tail around it.

Here is where im at right now, waiting for my wheels to show up. Im using a cbr f3 wheel and brakes up front, and cbr f2 wheel in back. I went with the f2 wheel cause it is 4.5 inches wide, so it will squeeze the 160 tire in a bit more then the 5 inch f3 wheel. Im hoping that a 520 chain with a small spacer will clear the tire... We'll see i guess.

PostPosted: October 17, 2009, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

My rear wheel showed up todayThat is where the axle will be, I will not really be adding any stretch, just mounting it in its rearmost adjusted position and making a chain adjuster. Front wheel should be here early next week.

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

So you gonna make it a hardtail but still with the swing arm stuff attached

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

blackwidow wrote:
So you gonna make it a hardtail but still with the swing arm stuff attached

Mine is a hardtail with the swingarn attached. will post some good pics of the set up if wanted.

Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
Toecutter

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

What are your plans for the engine rebuild?? stock,big bore kit,or rephased?? www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVpZ7hMXCj0
benjamoid14

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

No im not keeping the swing arm, its just there for now so I can get my axle placement easier. Im going to build a jig to hold the axle and the axle plates then I will cut off the rest of the frame. It will be a regular hard tail, just no stretch and no wheel adjustment.

I haven't decided what to do with the motor yet, I would love to but a 750 kit, cams, and some nice carbs, but I dont know if the budget will allow it right now. I will be doing a mild port and polish while the head is off, and I would like to find some high comp pistons at least, does anyone make stock bore high comp pistons?

PostPosted: November 3, 2009, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

Got my front wheel/tire in and got a deal on a 150 rear tire. Here is how it is now, just gotta figure out what im gonna do with the cush drive and then i will start building the hard tail.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 3, 2009, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

I read somewhere, that hardtails & std length don't go too well together.
Need the stretch to compensate a bit for the lack of suspension.

I guess it would be like a short wheelbase 4X4 with rock hard suspension.....Bucking up & down everywhere.........

Like I said, I only read it somewhere, doesn't mean that it's right. Just might pay to sus that one out before you start gluing it up!

Bullit bike or bulleit bike? Maybe enough bulleits & it wont matter lol

images.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.49 KB
 Viewed:  245 Time(s)

images.jpg

benjamoid14

PostPosted: November 3, 2009, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

Bullit bike, cuz im using wheels from a honda cbr(we call em bullit bike's here in utah). But good call on the bulleit Smile

I will have to do some research on the std length hard tail thing. I have other friends with bikes that are hardtails and std length(still using swing arm, just bracing it to the frame) and they ride fine. Its not gonna be a long haul bike, just crusin around town and back and forth to work. A "bar hopper" I think they call it.

PostPosted: November 4, 2009, 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

so did you have to do any modification for the wheels to fit?

PostPosted: November 4, 2009, 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bens bullit bobber

Not yet, the rear wheel would never fit in the stock swing arm, the tire rubs, and where the axle goes is not wide enough. The front wheel is close, the cbr axle is a bigger, I think a 20mm so the wheel is loose on there right now. When you turn the wheel it bounces back and forth and the little rivits on the rotors hit the forks. I will have to grind a few millimeters off the inside of the forks right where the rivets are after i get the correct bearings in the wheels.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1