650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Cable to engage rear drum brake

Cable to engage rear drum brake
    Forum Index -> Drive
ejdirin

PostPosted: October 6, 2009, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Cable to engage rear drum brake

Hey guys,

I'm about to pick up some forward controls for my chopper project. I'm wondering if anybody has tried to run a cable from the controls to the rear drum brake rather then running 2 linkages the length of the bike? I'm thinking it would be a pretty easy fix but was wondering if a cable (like a spare clutch or throttle cable) would have the tensile strength to be used in this application (obviously the cable would be pulling instead of pushing). If not, are there any other heavier cables out there that would work?

Thanks!
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 6, 2009, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable to engage rear drum brake

I've done it and it works but you better make sure you have a good front brake cause you can not get much leverage with a cable. Anyway I used a harley clutch cable with TC Bros forwards.

greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
ejdirin

PostPosted: October 6, 2009, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable to engage rear drum brake

Thanks Greg. How did you attach the cable to the forward controls? And what did you use to hold the cable tube (the outer casing...I don't know what to call it) in place in both the front of the bike and the rear? If you have any pictures, that'd be great. Thanks again.

And I have dual front discs, so the rear brake is mostly for inspection purposes Smile
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable to engage rear drum brake

Harley clutch cable has a loop in the cable so just a bolt, nut & washer holds it to the forwards. Although on another bike I bought cable from a hardware store with the lead piece they use to secure it in a loop )then twist some solder wire around the cable/lead piece & solder. And use a standard cable stop at the rear brake. I bought an overpriced cable stop from a bike shop & then found a package of 5 or 6 different ones for $3 at O'Reilly's Auto. Anyway, I'll see if I get a chance to take some photos Thurs.

greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1