650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Left side leak into the airfilter

Left side leak into the airfilter
    Forum Index -> Fuel
newelly

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 8:50 am    Post subject: Left side leak into the airfilter

So I have been messing with my carbs for a while now, I have a 79 SF, The carbs are leaking into the air filter. I have the stock 38's and stock air boxes, with vaccum petcocks, coudl the petcocks be the issue, making with the gas not shutting off and then over filling the bowl? I adjusted the float level last night, it was at 27mm so that may have been the issue but i will find out more today when I get the carbs back onto the bike. Thanks in advance
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Left side leak into the airfilter

yes sounds like the petcock is leaking but the float needle/valve seat in the carb is also leaking not shutting off the fuel flow, best thing to do is get new needle valve seat(s) might as well do both and get the manual petcocks, those vaccum petcocks are crap
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Left side leak into the airfilter

newelly, jayel is correct in saying that the needle & seat need replacing. On my '80 I do not ever have to turn the fuel off because mine do not leak. Those vacuum petcock's are crap. Replace it with the one from Mike's as soon as you can. Just knowing you have a reserve is worth the price.
The old needle & seat are probably'dimpled', from age, & not sealing off the fuel flow like they are suppose to.

newelly

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Left side leak into the airfilter

thanks gents... i will get the parts ordered today, this may sound like a dumb question but is it safe to ride or no?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Left side leak into the airfilter

it would be putting more fuel into that side than the cylinder can use possible fouled plug washing down the cylinder wall damaging the rings/cylinder no short no I wouldn't ride it
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Left side leak into the airfilter

Not if it's leaking all the time. You will end up 'washing' that cylinder with raw gas, no lubrication for the piston. Can cause allot of unnecessary damage. Mike's order's are usually quick,3-4 day's to Ct. Probably the same for Ia. Jayel would know, I presume.
newelly

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Left side leak into the airfilter

Should I take the tank off of the bike?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Left side leak into the airfilter

newelly wrote:
Should I take the tank off of the bike?
no but I would run the fuel line into a gas can big enough to hold what ever gas you have in the tank, might be interesting to see how much it leaks over a set period of time... 1 hour, 2 hours, 8 hours ect.

newelly

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Left side leak into the airfilter

Jayel you were right on the money as far as the leak. I replaced the needle valve and seat and no leak, thanks again, what a great site... Cheers
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1