650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > I'm off! (Does it show?)

I'm off! (Does it show?)
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Barbara

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 11:32 am    Post subject: I'm off! (Does it show?)

Hi Guys,

Well, Jaelith the '77 XS-n-chair and I are off for another run. This time we are going about 150 miles south to a campsite at the base of Mt. St. Helen's--the volcano that popped her top a couple of decades ago. The group with whom I ride is having a campout there, and we will be taking side-trips up to Spirit Lake--beautifully regrown after being literally destroyed by the eruption--and probably around the backside of the mountain like we did last year.

When next I post I should have another 400 or 500 miles on top of the 63,523 already logged on the faithful old bike.

(Just an aside: anyone who says you can't tour on an old XS is.....probably right, but the BMW won't be running until Spring, so ....away we go!! )

Have a great holiday, everyone in the States and Canada!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
Millie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm off! (Does it show?)

That should be a great trip Barbara. I understand that Spirit Lake has bounced back, and it even has fish living in there. Amazing, after the lake was totally destroyed.

I'm sure your bike will do just fine in the mountains. Touring on the XS? Sure, why not............you just have to pace yourself, and carry a few spare parts and tools Smile . I did a day trip this year up into the mountains that was 344 kms. Not exactly Iron Butt type riding, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and my bike ran perfect.

Have a good trip.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm off! (Does it show?)

Be careful and take lots of pictures to make us jealous, ok?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm off! (Does it show?)

Hi Guys,

Well, this is what a really dirty and rained-up XS looks like, after about 400 miles. I love that bike---she just keeps on chugging along, no matter what I ask of her!

st. helen\'s trip #2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.97 KB
 Viewed:  134 Time(s)

st. helen\'s trip #2.jpg

st. helen\'s ride #1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.85 KB
 Viewed:  120 Time(s)

st. helen\'s ride #1.jpg

jaelith at st. helen\'s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.12 KB
 Viewed:  129 Time(s)

jaelith at st. helen\'s.jpg

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm off! (Does it show?)

She's a rider! Both of you!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm off! (Does it show?)

Barb.......you never made it across to see me here in NC...... would have snatched you up or got smacked trying.... Laughing ..... built a 77 for my wife and she would never ride it..... not once....... Rolling Eyes

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: I'm off! (Does it show?)

Hi Guys,

Well, gee, I feel kinda good about the ol' girl......say, John, if you still have that '77...... Laughing

Oh. Something I found out something that I should have known....I had a choice of voltmeters, one at around $55.00, and one for about $35.00. Being the thrifty (cheap) person that I am, you can guess which I chose. Well, you get what you pay for---turns out it worked just fine until the first of the rain.....when it promptly filled up with water and informed me that I had either around 3.0 volts or about 40--back and forth. Happily, I had my regular meter along and could check her now and then, and she did just fine inspite of the flood of biblical proportions that tried it's best to drown bikes and riders....

And yes, I will be purchasing a waterproof voltmeter soon..... Laughing

Next comes the Oyster Run---lots of bikes, and tons of oysters.....(the real "Big "O"!!) Wink

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: I'm off! (Does it show?)

77 is gone..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: I'm off! (Does it show?)

I'm thinking about doing the Oyster Run myself this year, Barb -- I'll probably do it on the V-Star, though. The thought of another several hundred mile putt on the XS makes my backside hurt just thinking about it.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: I'm off! (Does it show?)

Yeah, bad luck on the voltmeter Barb. I've heard it rains a fair bit in Washington state Smile . They don't put on the box whether the meter is waterproof or not, do they.
I just have a cheap voltmeter on my bike and I know it won't like the rain................but then again it never rains here in Calgary on the lee side of the mountains.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1