650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > While upgrading the swing arm bushings...(Future Chopper)?

While upgrading the swing arm bushings...(Future Chopper)?
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
Guitarist

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 5:31 am    Post subject: While upgrading the swing arm bushings...(Future Chopper)?

I'm planning on adding some sort of rake and fork extension to my '80 XS next year. The plan is about a 38" rake (5" trail). MikesXS 4" over forks are looking rather tempting. To get towards this, too bad bike #2 has 6" overs (maybe I could go with Forks by Frank): www.harley-davidson-ch...r-kits.htm

But now, looking to slide in these new Mike's XS bronze bushings should I get the swing arm "adjusted" whiles she's apart?

If so, would a 3" stretch yield a balanced ride, traction and turning? Or just keep the old saddle bags on and simply rake 'er?

The goal; minimum alterations: maximum chopper.

Thanks, I've been a sporadic reader around here for a few years and from Vancouver BC.
jimxsrider

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: While upgrading the swing arm bushings...(Future Chopper)?

Guitarist, Stretching your swingarm will take away from your handling. Also, the xs 650 swingarm is round tubing, and isn't very strong when compared with other designs. People have braced their swing arms before, and they do look and perform well.
www.xs650.org.au/xs_ga..._scene.htm
Scroll down a bit and check out the swing arm brace on this guy's project.

Also, extending the forks will make your bike corner like crap. Correct Suspension geometry is very important, especially if you are planing to ride you bike alot. But if you are going after "that" look then it doesn't matter.

Also, if you ask people what will look cool..... post pictures. You will get more responses that way, because everyone loves pictures! Also it just helps to see what one is working with.

hope that helps!

jim
Teebs

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: While upgrading the swing arm bushings...(Future Chopper)?

Guitarist, if you are planning to stretch it out you can't really worry too much about handling.

Production bikes are generally engineered for optimum handling and traction within the limits of their design and construction (usually based on cost)... choppers are not.

The chop is about looks and attitude, and you're sacrificing quite a bit in that pursuit. With that said, they are still fun as hell to ride and a lot of fun to show off. However, you won't be zooming through the curves. They take some getting used to, and aren't really for the faint of heart.

The neck rake and fork stretch are, in all likelihood, going to cost you more in the way of handling and traction than the swingarm stretch ever will, especially if you're sticking with the stock fork setup with longer tubes. The XS front-end is a little sloppy at speed to begin with, lengthening the forks will only make it sloppier.

Unless you have an engineer that can factor in all of the varying changes in weight distribution I doubt anybody could give you a definitive answer regarding handling or traction. It depends on numerous factors such as ride height, seat height, seat placement front-to-back, how much frame/overall weight has been removed from what areas of the bike, and the list goes on and on.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, your bike will look completely unbalanced and far too forward leaning if you rake the front out that much without extending the swingarm.

As jim suggested, I would recommend bracing on the swingarm if you do decide to stretch it. The added weight is minimal, there are a number of ways to go about it, and it can only improve handling. I don't recommend stretching without the brace as it can get a little squirrely.

Here's a pic of my 4 inch swingarm stretch. I'll be doing a rake and stretch to the front-end at some point.

frame_complete004.jpg
 Description:
4" swingarm stretch with round stock brace
 Filesize:  117.93 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

frame_complete004.jpg

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1