650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N
    Forum Index -> Fuel
sosnpk

PostPosted: April 7, 2005, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

Can someone give me an overview of what parts I need to buy in order to rebuild my stock 82 carbs to use the K&N type air filters. The FAQ on Mikesxs is confusing to me. Anyone done this and can give me any tips?

Greg
1982 XS650S
flavaz33

PostPosted: April 7, 2005, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

I'm in the same boat with my stock 83 carbs. Some helpful info would be great, Thanks.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 11, 2005, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

I got my my pod air cleaners Part#M55752 from www.650central.com/ to replace the my original ones that had decentegrated, I am also currently running open pipes. The stock jetting was too lean for my application.

I rebuilt my carbs on my 1980 XS 650 SG with parts from MikesXS and following the FAQ on his site. The bike only has 7800 miles but before I revived it had been parked for 17 years, Cleaned, new floats and valves adusted. Put in a #145 Main jet, Pilot Jet of #45, Air Jet of # 127.5 , Set my now adjustable Idle mixture screws to 2 3/4 turns out. I had previously cleaned out and sealed gas tank, I never seen that much rust in a tank! And rebuilt Petcock.

Started right up and is purring like a kitten. Took the maiden voyage to the gas station and back, about 10 miles, Good power, no popping or sputtering and the plugs look good!

Exactly what part of the FAQ on Mikesxs is confusing you? I'm no expert but it worked for me, let me know if I can help.

Photo Gallery
flavaz33

PostPosted: April 11, 2005, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

how big of pipes are you running? It's been suggested to me to run no bigger than a 1 1/2", but i was thinking maybe a little bigger for a better sound, my frame is stock and i was going to run the pipes a little longer than the stock mufflers, any thoughts?
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 11, 2005, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

Right now all I have are the stock pipes cut off where the muffler started, I don't think they are 1 1/2" but I've never measured the I.D. I plan on getting the Mac Head Pipes Part #004-0133HP from Mike's XS. I'll probably cut them before the upkick on the end. I like to go with bigger pipes than these, 1 1/2" O.D and 1 3/8" I.D., If someone knows a supplier with 1 3/4" or even 2".
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 11, 2005, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

I measured the I.D of my cut stock pipe, Looks like it may 1 1/8" I.D. at most. Definetly pretty small. I think the 1 1/2" will help as well.
Photo Gallery
flavaz33

PostPosted: April 11, 2005, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can find.
bent

PostPosted: April 14, 2005, 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

Seems to be the problem I'm having, just got an 83 Heritage Special and the air cleaner is rotted out on the left side. I think because the float is stuck and the fuel leaked out into the air cleaner.

My question is: should I toss the stock carbs and get the Mikiuni kit that I have seen advertised or rebuild the carbs?

Also I found that the upper stud holding the rear shock and wrap-around bar (rear stop liight attaching point as well) was broken off leaving an attachment point about 1" long but not long enough to fit the nut on.

I want to remove the bar/stock rear light and fit another rear taillight: any experience with LED tail lights?

WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 14, 2005, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

I guess it depends on how much $ you want to spend. I would buy some of the Pod style air cleaners, which will fit behind the stock side covers, and rebuild the stock carbs myself.

You'll probably need to find a local welder to attach a new stud for the shock mount unless there is enough threads left without the wrap around bar on there.

I put an old tombstone light on mine that went on easy and looks pretty good, at least to me anyway. When the $ are available I was going to change to an LED Tombstone light that J & P Cycles has in their catalog.

Photo Gallery
yamaha75

PostPosted: April 21, 2005, 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

I recently bought as et of 36mm smoothbore mikunis from ebay, had them set in the shop, i am running 1 3/4" pipes with short mufflers like those found on harley sportsters. got the bike home ok, but several days later it started to run really rich, backfiring and both plugs are now black with black sooty deposits around the exhausts. Does any one know what size main jets to use in these carbs. any help appreciated.

cheers

uk jon
Photo Gallery
yamaha75

PostPosted: May 20, 2005, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading 82 carbs to use K&N

had the bike back in the shop and after much tinkering, fitted 130main jets. what a difference they've made, cleaner, crisper throttle response. just have to continue with the project

jon
uk
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1