650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
wally

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 4:08 am    Post subject: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

I have seen around Polished aluminium plates that fit behind the foot pegs to dress up this area of the frame
I was wondering if anyone has a cut out plan for these plates so I could make a set myself for my cafe
I hope there is a few sharing soles out there?
DaveB

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

I think Omar's actually sells them... might be easier that way?
ady66

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

Or just mock em up in cardboard then thin board to get the desired shape then set to with the hand tools and drill on the aluminium sheet. It's harder work but will be unique and (hopefully) exactly what you want. I haven't made full dress plates so can't help you out with a template, but have made rearset mounting plates this way.
duncla

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

I did the same thing as ady66 except I used 1/8" clear plastic from the hardware store. That way you can see the frame shape and the location of the studs, pivot, etc. Leave the protective cover on as long as possible and use a Sharpie to mark it. With the protective cover you can have extra chances to change the pattern. Once you drill the stud holes, it gets easier to use and makes a good template for the aluminum but, be carefull when drilling as the plastic cracks easily. It also flips right to left and I cut it out with a band saw - any one will work, mine is a home made metal cutter with an 1/8" blade. However, aluminum over about 3/8" will clog a steel cutting blade,( it will break) but, a wood cutting saw will work with a wood cutting blade and a little stick lube or WD-40 if nothing else.
duncla

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

Wally,
I forgot to say that you will need to rough out the shape you want to clear the engine cases amongst other things.
duncla
wally

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

Thanks Guys

For your Ideas , Using plastic a great idea Thanks duncla
nudude53

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

here they are Wally..............

www.hotwingglass.com/a...ates.shtml

I knew I saw them someplace besides ebay.

bplate1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.04 KB
 Viewed:  272 Time(s)

bplate1.jpg

rhilker

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

These things would really look if they were billet. Anyone own a milling machine? or a CNC?

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

Check the link, they are CNC cut. They would look really cool with a swirl pattern on them, Like the nose on the Spirit of St. Louis. It would be hard to stop there though!
rhilker

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Street tracker Or Cafe Beauty Plates

With billet you could do 3D. I'd water jet these parts, cheaper and faster.

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1