650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > best way to install hard tail

best way to install hard tail
    Forum Index -> Frames
jdog_kustoms

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: best way to install hard tail

what is the best way to weld on a hard tail and keep the frame from tweeking and not being true should i just build a jig or you have other ways all help would be apriciated

jordon
calicruiser

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

the only way to go IMO is in a jig. Weld up most of it in the jig and then take out a finish weld it up. others will say you can do it without a jig but I wouldn't trust my life on that frame being straight and true!

josh
jdog_kustoms

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

were can i get a jig or jig plans
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

jdog_kustoms wrote:
were can i get a jig or jig plans

Don't need a plan... Just cut a series of pipes that match the width of the mounting points on the engine case. Make sure you have "some" gap between the support pieces so not to expand the distances.

Your best bet is to leave the engine in the frame and just be damned careful when welding...
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

Im about to attempt my jig with 2"x2" wood as I cant afford any more steel & I cant weld to save my life.. I'll just nail/screw the wood around the stock frame/wheel geometry pull it off and cut the frame up ..Must be easy I'm reckoning so long as the rear spindle & hub line up as per the original..
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

Heat will pull the metal out of a straight line, if it is not done correctly............... Always tack in at least 4 places around the tube/pipe, opposite from each other each time............I have been involved with manufacturing and building most of my life and i know enough to know that, without experience and knowledge to fabricate and weld, and then doing it by asking questions on forums like these, ..........( and this is in no way a put down of the answers from experienced members who have the knowledge and skills to perform these tasks), ...........Is the most scary thing i can think of. When it comes to frames, cutting and welding, then do some schooling and/or have someone who has the experience to be with you. And watching does not mean you can do it next time.
I am reluctant to answer questions when the person obviously has no idea what they are doing.
A rant i know, but the frame is the bike.........If that brakes or is out of line then no amount of skill will stop an accident
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

jdog_kustoms wrote:
what is the best way to weld on a hard tail and keep the frame from tweeking and not being true should i just build a jig or you have other ways all help would be apriciated

jordon
And honestly if you have to ask this question then you are not qualified to do the work. Get an experienced person to help you on the job.
Photo Gallery
acetek

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

SHeet maan ah jest glood me up a chopper wid a chinee weld macchine I get From off a gypo tool truk for 99 bucks an sum of dat thar JB Weld j us got me a new tatoo trible arm bandlookin thang and a butch shave job on me ole noggin too chickys jus dig it............then i sold that thar dad gum thing to some slicker for 2900.00 somolies that thar scooter went down the road like a dad burn crawdad sashwayin sid to side and the like
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

LMFAO ! Laughing
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

Recieved in a Pm from Jdog_Kustoms [Quote]: thanks for the ignorant reply i have body droped trucks rewelded frames on cars just havent done mutch on bikes at all i was just curious what the easyest what to keep it true was i can weld and have fabricated a lot just not round tubing on bikes

jordon [Quote]

Hey Jordon,
AS for the ignorant reply, you gave no indication you had any experience in welding or the setting up of fabricating steel. Asking if a jig is needed, as you did, gave me the impression you had no experience. I have seen the affects, of what looks like a good weld, and the end product (broken) because a lack of experience meant the weld was no good. A lot of people on this site are welding and do not have the knowledge or experience. I gave you the procedure on what to do before welding. A jig will only help to set you up, so if you do not weld with the correct procedure, then when the jig is removed the heat pull on the welded product will leave it out of true
Photo Gallery
danxs650mass

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

i sent my frame to tc bros great work
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to install hard tail

650skull , hell I didnt know that about the heat pulling out of true if not welded correctly! I'll be a bit more careful about who I ask to do my frame/hardtail welding now ..Thanks
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1