650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > got'erdone!

got'erdone!
    Forum Index -> Drive
yamaguy

PostPosted: December 7, 2006, 9:49 am    Post subject: got'erdone!

Well, I finally got my 30T on last night. Also put on new chain while I was at it.It was getting dark but had to take a spin! Loved the the results!Only got up to 60 for a short burst and mostly around 40-50 due to rush hour. Turns 3000@ 50 and 3500@60 give or take 100rpm. So that roughly gives 20 mph per 1000 rpm's. So what xsjohn said about turning 4000@ 70 should be right on the money. Kind of luggy going around slow turns, but very liveable.

Today it's 20 degrees and windy with a little snow. Glad I beat the weather to be able to check it out. Supposed to be in the 40's by Sun. and maybe hit 50 by the end of next week, so I'll be give it a more thorough testing.

Thanks for the advice and help, everyone! That WeeStrom was giving me some dirty looks, though! Laughing

Jay
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 7, 2006, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: got'erdone!

Jay: Know what you mean about luggy. I went to a 18/29 and the problem gets a tad worse in second. I am so used to it now it doesn't bother me. Did you try to harden it. Think nothing of getting on the express all afternoon now except I am freezing my butt..

For me I wish someone had been around to talk Yamaha out of a close ratio gear box. I guess trying to please everone with just a 650 would have been a tough decision but I think it was the wrong one. My RT1 360's have a wide ratio box so these problems were not there. I changed them both from 15/44 to 17/40 and that was it. Still went through the woods ok in 1 2 3 4 and 5 for getting the 70 miles from Ocala National Forest to home then in Orlando a breeze.

John
Photo Gallery
yamaguy

PostPosted: December 7, 2006, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: got'erdone!

Hi, John!

No I didn't harden the sprocket. I was too impatient to mess with it. It looks like a good quality unit, though. I've never hardened a sprocket before and have really never felt the need to. Since you run alot of high-speed miles on yours, I can see where it might be a good idea.

Thanks for your input! Wink

Jay

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1