650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Changing fork oil: type and amount?

Changing fork oil: type and amount?
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
scotts

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 11:47 am    Post subject: Changing fork oil: type and amount?

I've searched all over for this and I'm either overlooking it or it's just not out there...
I have two bikes in which I'd like to change the fork oil. The forks and seals are in good shape, but the oil is who-knows how old. I can find the method to change it but not WHAT oil to use or what AMOUNT.

I've never done this before and it seems straight forward, but any tips and tricks are welcome, too. The bikes are an '80 and '83 model, if that makes any difference.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Changing fork oil: type and amount?

book says 155cc of 10w30, personally I use 50cc ATF + 100cc 10w30 a little softer ride for me and the ATF keeps the seals soft
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fork oil: type and amount?

I used 203 cc ( 7 oz) of 15W40 diesel. Same thing I use in my engine. I'm very happy with the front end handling now. When I used 10W, the front end was way too soft.

Seems like everyone has their favourite oil for the forks. Heck, some folks even say you should only use "fork oil" Smile
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fork oil: type and amount?

Retiredgentleman wrote:
. Heck, some folks even say you should only use "fork oil" Smile

next thing you know you're putting salad oil on salads Smile

indyjay

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fork oil: type and amount?

I used the factory recommended amount and 10W on my SG. It is a little soft, but much more compliant than the 29 yr. old oil that was in there!

I think 15W would have been a good compromise. I see nothing wrong with using "non" fork oil, though.

If I remember right, it was like 9 bucks fo a liter!! Mad
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fork oil: type and amount?

Atf does not get that old fish smell fork oil does when it's been in there for years and years.

Where do they get Baby oil from?

I know it's lame

cheers
Photo Gallery
sschering

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fork oil: type and amount?

My XS-400 called for 20w.. I put in 30w motor oil when I put in new seals. (I'm a big guy so extra damping would be good)

I'm happy with the results but then I don't know what or how much was in there to begin with.

William's Law ...

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1