650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Whole Frontend interchange for XS400 to a 650?

Whole Frontend interchange for XS400 to a 650?
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
roadstarb

PostPosted: April 2, 2009, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Whole Frontend interchange for XS400 to a 650?

Hey guys, i'm new here and I have a question. I recently saved a 1981 XS400 from going to the junk yard and i've managed to get the engine back to life. Now i'm invisioning a bobber style rebuild, but not set on it as my mind seems to change quite a bit from bobber to cafe' racer, either way she is about to get stripped down naked for a complete frame out all new bolts, bearings, paint, you name it. I am also a cheaper person who likes to find parts that are interchangeable without cutting and grinding!
My question is, if I plan on the bobber style I would like to change out the frontend, possibly a little taller or wider fork set. Would a stock XS650 frontend with tripletree bolt on to the XS400 neck? Or does anyone here have any other suggestions or opinions?

I'm not planning on this bike handling very well if I go with the bobber style, I just want it to look cool...I have two other bikes that I ride all the time, this one is just a project bike that probably won't see outside the city limits too often, "bar hopper" I guess you could call it!

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Whole Frontend interchange for XS400 to a 650?

From what i understand, all it takes is grinding the welds that attach the stem to the lower tree and reweld the 400 stem in the 650 tree or vice versa.
Photo Gallery
sschering

PostPosted: April 10, 2009, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Whole Frontend interchange for XS400 to a 650?

There is one option I haven't explored..

The 82-83 XS-400 DOHC bikes had 35mm forks..
The 82-83 trees use the same bearings.. The trees might fit the early models.

Then you could mount the longer 35mm XS-650 legs in the 82-83 XS-400 trees

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK.. Stem length is the only part I'm not sure about.

Just an Idea I haven't had time to explore.

William's Law ...

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1