650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Need Advice removing lower fork legs

Need Advice removing lower fork legs
    Forum Index -> Frames
madskills
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 23, 2006, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

I am disassembling my forks as I want to powdercoat them as well as rebuild the forks and am having troubles, I cannot get the damper rod bolt loose, my manual says to take a 1/2" and flatten to 10MM and slide in which should grasp the milled flats of the rod, ahh they make it sound so easy, any help is greatly appreciated.

John
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 23, 2006, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

Here's what you need if you have a 77 or newer xs:

a 2 foot long 7/16 threaded rod and a half dozen 7/16 nuts (they are .675" across the flats)

Lock the nuts together on the threaded rod like in the picture.
Slide the rod into the fork tube. It will fit in the socket at the bottom of the tube and allow you to remove the screw in the end of the tube.

I figured this out after breaking a wooden dowel off in my first attempt.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 23, 2006, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

Damper Bolt Driver - Deep type damper bolt driver used to air impact recessed damper bolts from lower fork legs.

if you have one of this from mikesXS you can normal spin the allen head bolts out of the bottom of the legs it's a long 8mm allen (hex) works better than trying to remove them by hand

Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 23, 2006, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

jayel wrote:
Damper Bolt Driver - Deep type damper bolt driver used to air impact recessed damper bolts from lower fork legs.

It takes more than just the bolt driver. I bought one from Mike's and all it did was spin the bolt and damper rod. You have to have a tool to hold the damper rod as well.
Photo Gallery
madskills
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 27, 2006, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

Thanks cafe, seems like a cheap route to go I'll give it a try, appreciate the help
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 27, 2006, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

Both Jayel and cafe shop are correct. 90% of the time jayels method works great. But then there is that10% that just will not come loose. I have one right now that is off of a 81, that not only wouldnt impact out but also would not come apart with the damper rod locked, broke off the end of the rod in the lower leg. Now there is a problem. I put everything away and built another set of forks, but still need to save these somehow>
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 27, 2006, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

about all you can do with that one roy is stop it from rotating (drive a wooden dowel into the broken end) and drill the head off the bolt
madskills
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 3, 2006, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

Thanks for all the advice guys, a smashed thumb later(ouch) I was able to finally break the damn things free, Cafe, thanks I took your advice and now have a Fork leg tool that worked, now a little bead blast and ready to powdercoat.
Photo Gallery
madskills
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2006, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

Well not quite ready yet, now requesting advice on getting the damn seals out? Are there any tricks? Seem to be very stubborn.
Photo Gallery
Skogga

PostPosted: October 21, 2006, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

Earlier I had bought a set of hex sockets which included a 17mm, but the collar was too big to slide down the fork tube! Fortunately the hex itself was held in the drive collar by a small set screw, that loosened I took the hex out and taped it into a Stanley 17mm socket which fit down the tube. I had just enough extensions to make it to the damper with the boot all the way up. Using Mike's 8mm extended driver on the bottom the parts came off easily.

PostPosted: October 22, 2006, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 13, 2009, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 22, 2006, 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need Advice removing lower fork legs

Well what do you do when you've removed the ring and the seal still won't budge?
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1