650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > New Project...Need some help and advice.

New Project...Need some help and advice.
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
jimbowattz

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 8:24 pm    Post subject: New Project...Need some help and advice.

Trying to finish a project.

1. One thing that's not finished is the brake linkage pivot. I am going to buy the one from G & L Choppers. My question is does it bolt on some how? or does it weld on to the frame?

2. It currently has a kick start only. I would like to add a starter and only use the kick start occasionally. Can anyone recommend somewhere that sells the whole assembly that includes all that I would need sort of as a package? or at least all the parts i would need? The previous owner took it all off so I don't know what all I need to buy (was missing when i bought). Also, does the starter bolt onto the motor block some how? or do i have to fabricate a bracket or something for the frame?

3. can anyone recommend a good vendor to get a straight drag bar from? I want to change the bars.

Last edited by jimbowattz on March 19, 2009, 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project...Need some help and advice.

bah to electric start. They are so easy to kick why even add it mine is gone too.. Thats a killer bobb jobb. I thought G&L's were weld on.
jimbowattz

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project...Need some help and advice.

i've been having second thoughts about the starter myself. im going to leave the kick only for now.

regarding the brake pivot, does anyone else sell these or do most people fab it themselves? i can't get G&L to answer my calls or emails. are there any bolt on pivots? or all weld on?
penn71911

PostPosted: March 18, 2009, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project...Need some help and advice.

I still have the starter on mine, but honestly, the only time I use it is if/when I stall in traffic... (yeah... It still happens to me... Embarassed ), I've gotten so used to kicking mine... starts on the first kick... I wouldn't make it a priority to add one. However... if you wanna add it you need...

Starter solenoid, positive battery cable to solenoid, cable from solenoid to starter, starter (of course!), mounting bolts probably, starter bendix (drive gear) if it doesn't come on the starter you get... switch housing with starter button... maybe have to do some custom wiring if the original harness is not there (for the starter button and to the solenoid).... might be it... fellas, please add if I'm forgettin' something...

OH... BTW... nice ride!

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1