650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > dual brakes on a 73 tx

dual brakes on a 73 tx
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls

what should i do?
continue with conversion!!!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
sell the setup
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

shmuckingham

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 6:59 pm    Post subject: dual brakes on a 73 tx

so i bought this brake kit on ebay not thinking- and its for a newer xs- newer than my 73 which has the caliper in front of the fork instead of behind it- i also think i read somewhere that the rotors have a different offset- they are thinner than my single rotor on my 73 as well. the kit has everything to convert to a dual for a newer xs

i think i got a decent deal because i paid $100

what all do i need to make this work?

thanks a ton!

dualz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.27 KB
 Viewed:  252 Time(s)

dualz.jpg

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2009, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: dual brakes on a 73 tx

New forks for a start mate, the lowers have different mounting hole spacing to these later calipers.. You could work around it by fabricating adaptor brackets for the later calipers to fit your early legs though , ive done that in the past to enable me to install motoguzzi brembo calipers.
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: dual brakes on a 73 tx

I think that you got a pretty good deal on that set up too.............however, it doesn't match up well to be your dual disc set up for a stock 73' with your 34 mm forks.

You should be able to readily sell the set up you just got to the 78' plus year 35mm forks and cast wheel crowd. As it might be more feasible to do a dual disc set up on your bike with a caliper and rotor that matches what you have stock on your bike and fits your existing fork caliper mounts. A stock caliper disassembles and reverses to fit the other fork mount if I'm not mistaken.

What we need now is input from someone who has put the other stock caliper and disc on a 73' to confirm what's needed for stock dual discs.

Otherwise, you're looking at a front end swap at the triple tree or fabrication of new caliper mount adaptors just to suit the set up you just purchased. Other new issues too with fender and instrument mounts.

Best, Blue

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: dual brakes on a 73 tx

I thought I would add my 1 cent

When I built my bike with dual disk I got my left side caliper from a bloke in the UK for my 73 front end. that is the most difficult piece to find. the disk is a disk it just flips and run. the brake lines for mine are off another old yamaha I believe a tx750. I just used a dual banjo bolt out of the res. and avoided the spliter at the bottom of the triple tree.

good luck if you look in my gallery I have some shots of the setup.

cheers
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: dual brakes on a 73 tx

schmuckingham, dont just look for early XS650 calipers,the early RD250/350 models used the same type. You can have the calipers on the rear of the forks if you prefer by simply swapping left to right & vice-versa
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: March 7, 2009, 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: dual brakes on a 73 tx

The xs500 is another option, if i remember right, they used a single disc, but it was on the other side.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1