650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 6:20 am    Post subject: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

...By the way you Yanks the proper term is here CAF racer, say CAFE' and the average working-class biker ( for they invented the style/name) in England would snigger & instantly identify/label you as either ;
(a) A (young)journalist for a modern bike mag
(b) A rich urban/middleclass poser whos bought himself into the biking scene to look trendy
(c) poof or a limp-wristed Chelsea bridge poser
(d) japanese wannabe 'retro rocker'

...So know you know Twisted Evil Wink

I'm trying to think of an American abreviation spoken by a european that would sound strange/fake to you yanks

gradually losing intrest... God help me...

Last edited by xs1961 on February 4, 2009, 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
sesamharold

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe'

Aaaaah, now we´re talking! Smells like fun here now! Lookin´for tush, hey?

Sorry, you are only partly right.

Indeed, it (the name for the best type of motorcycles) came from that strange island where all is different: They have stones, not kilograms, refuse to adopt the worlds standard called metric, bikers refuse to have sunshine instead of rain, drive on the wrong side of the road, ... and now we learn that it is across the channel not Cafe anymore, but CAF.

What´s this islands name again? Oh yes, Great Britain (why only the islanders call it great???)

Actually, I heard that by the ages you made it to CAF - the origin was CAVE, which would make sense. Is that true?

C´mon, let´s play ....

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe'

Haha , nice one Harold ! Laughing We ENGLISH do not say Great Britain, we say ENGLAND , the scots & the Welsh can sod off & do their own thing as far as we're concerned ! Caf/cave ... lol...not a lot of difference..Cafe' is a poofy French establishment... Good working-class ENGLISH bikers meet at CAFS...
ding ding , round 2.. Wink

tush = female arse .. I hope Shocked

Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe'

In North America it has become the de-CAF lo-fat soy-mochaccino latte poseur-cycle. Only because the RUB set are looking for some street-cred, and Harley prices are higher than a tweaked-out jap-bike.

Thus, the economic crisis has driven the prices of our favourite cycles up. Which is ok for me, because I build 'em from scrap, and sell 'em for cash. The CAF cup is always half full. >8/

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe'

Smile Same here on both counts mate ! Wink
Photo Gallery
Ken99

PostPosted: February 5, 2009, 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

In the USA, if we said "Caf," someone might thing we said "Calf."

Calf Racer???

caf = calf.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.81 KB
 Viewed:  253 Time(s)

caf = calf.jpg

scotts

PostPosted: February 5, 2009, 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Heh, you Brits will probably get a kick out of the official state dance here in South Carolina....the shag. We even having shagging license plates and "I'd rather be shagging" bumper stickers.
Photo Gallery
Dunbar

PostPosted: February 5, 2009, 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

i want one of those bumper stickers...
Gmaan
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Yo Bro I am from CA. WTF does all that slap mean.

"(b) A rich urban/middle class poser who's bought himself into the biking scene to look trendy
(c) poof or a limp-wristed Chelsea bridge poser"

Can you translate for me dude, it will be hela cool
Late!

1974 Kawasaki H1 500 triple (MY BABY)
1975 Yamaha TX 650 (just need paint)
tacoswild

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

I believe the american word for cafe is "Starbucks". But hey I'm just a dumb Canuck, probably don't know what I'm talking aboot.
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Right on, I'll change the header to starbucks . . . LOL
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Um.. In Canada, it's Tim Horton's. On every block, in every hand. Man, I hate their crappy sludge. But it does give the non-alcoholic Harley guys a destination.

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

therein is the reason i brew my own coffee every morning...i see no reason to pay 4.75 for some mocha-latte-limpwristachino when i can brew a pot of hot, black coffee for next to nothing and start my day off right.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 6, 2009, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

I reckon you got the 'cafe' ' part..
Over here poof = queer/ fag/bender/shirt-lifter , Limp-wristed is more-or-less the same but can just be a bloke whos a bit wet..Chelsea bridge is a place over the Thames where all the trendy wannabe bike posers/wankers hang out on weekend evenings..

Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: February 7, 2009, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Timmy racers ???
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 7, 2009, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Laughing Laughing .. Nice one !
Photo Gallery
easytravel

PostPosted: February 7, 2009, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Yes...caf is brit talk for cafe, so perhaps the original description of that style of bike is indeed caf racer. However over in america we call cigarettes smokes, cigs etc but never a "fag" so when i used to smoke i would "go for a smoke" not "suck on a fag" lol Smile
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 7, 2009, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Laughing LMFAO ! Laughing
Photo Gallery
easytravel

PostPosted: February 7, 2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Deep Purple fan right? Yeah...this forums pretty funny.
Tomterrific

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

I'm from a small Midwestern town and we called cigarettes fags when I was a teenager in the 60's.

Why are Queers called fags or faggots?

A small piece of firewood is correctly termed a faggot. During the Salem witch trials when the accused woman was burning and the crowd was whipped into a vicious religious frenzy, men would single out the homosexuals and throw them on the fire. This is how a homosexual got the term faggot, they were jokingly described as a piece of firewood. Religious zealots, great material for a novel.

Tom Graham, trivia king.
sesamharold

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

xs1961 wrote:
.... I'm trying to think of an American abreviation spoken by a european that would sound strange/fake to you yanks

C A F = Can´t Afford a Fulldresser

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Thanks Tom , is that true ?
Harold, Ha Ha !

Heres a way to describe what I meant, supposing you went to your local bikeshop spares counter & overheard a customer next to you (smartly dressed in new dayglo leathers or denims & chaps !)asking '..hello young man , I have a CAFE racer motorbike that is broken,can I have a conrod please, a crankshaft, some aluminium pistons with piston rings , some sealing gaskets for my carburretors an airfilter and a sparking plug ..'
.. Now you & I would just know he was ,shall we say 'slightly suspect' Wink wouldnt an experienced (proper) biker ask ..'Alright mate, me CAF racers buggered, can I have ..A rod,crank,pistons c/w +.50 rings, carb gasket set & a B8ES plug please ' ?
..Trying to convert the USA to CAF... Wink

Photo Gallery
easytravel

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Hey Tom, yeah...alot of "puffing on fags" in the 60's. I preferred "reefer".
Smile . Ultimmate trivia....the word trivia, latin for 3 roads (paths whatever), when the roman soldiers went to conquer a new territory they of course left the woman behind . The market was at the corner of the 3 roads in town, the woman would pass the day at the market buying, selling and trading and generally "making small talk". The content of these communications was considered inane and not important by the men folk , they were talking of trivial matters....hence the oriigin of the word TRIVIA!
Who's the king now dude? Laughing
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 8, 2009, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CAF not 'Cafe' perleeze...

Nice one easy t , its a close run contest..So far ...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2