650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
sure

PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 11:12 am    Post subject: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

day 1..Roller,tank mounted,seat mounted..etc...

day2. fender trimmed,sruts wil be laser cut today,dummy motor in(rebuilt thompson racing motor will be used)wheels spaced,tons o' bung made...

this bike will be a rideable machine come next friday...
sure

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

the paints been done along with tons of other stuff..
been to busy to upload olpics and alot that..
here you go..

I did all the body work and paint in 2 and a half days..
tweedy64

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

Tank looks good buddy!
Photo Gallery
CUSTOMRUNNER

PostPosted: October 14, 2008, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

Very nice , keep the picks coming.
sure

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

sorry for the crap pics but heres some of the bike..

xsjohn

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

You guys are clever no doubt............the only thing I see quite often is the single down tube in the front..........would suspect that doesn't help stability.......and if the top motor mount is left off ..... look out.......suspose I am not saying anything people don't already know though......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

Xsjohn,I don't kow if I understand what you're getting at.
The motor is triangulated in the frame and we have run every bike we have biult like this and have had no problems in the past 5 years..as far as the stability of the bike with a singe down tube its not effected at all considering the low center of gravity n the bike..most other bike have single down tubes from the factory.I guess you would have to ride one of our bikes to see how nice they actually do ride..
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

Didn't I know better than to get into this one..........the early xs's had the single down tube and they went to the double....maybe it was the beer cans they made the frames from......and from what I have heard it was an improvement in stability.........and when I leave the top motormount off of mine while I am torquing the head for a few hundred miles it handles like crap....the center line in the road feels like they are an inch thick..........But I don't build bikes......just ride them........didn't mean to infer anything derogatory ......just my instinct on the matter ...would surely admit the single looks better and I like the red color you have there and wish mine had more contact patch on the rear tire........seems I can ride just a bit and see the tire wear slap off..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

hey no argument here..I just didn't really know where you were coming form so I figured I'd cover all the bases...
For the record all are frames are made from DOM and are TIG welded.
I can assure you we do not build them from schedule 40 or anything that would be way less then safe.They are very stout frames.
The frames we build are completely new.We do not use any parts of the stock frame.
I see way more thing unsafe about alot of other chops I see being built from guy hardtailing their stock bikes and using shoody hardtail sectoins and then MIG welding them on whe they have no bussiness welding anything structural..Cuz you know if that thing breaks their a$$ is grass.
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

I read you..........Did you see the guy on TV trying to break the speed record on the Bicycle .....steep down hill 110 MPH plus.....dear god what a face plant he made on his carbon fiber trickster..........he tried it first on a mountain bike that made it......he just had to try for a couple more MPH......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swq9hBdvkKU

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: October 20, 2008, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

propper pictures...

sure

PostPosted: October 21, 2008, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxTBMxUVEoA
mintaka

PostPosted: October 29, 2008, 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

Is that a rear brake only on that? I didn't see anything on the front tire that would indicate any brakes there. What was the cost of the frame? or the springer front end for that matter? How did you accomodate the drive sprocket offset with the 200mm rear tire? Very sweet ride by the way! Was that a 750 bore kit that was done on that engine?
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: October 29, 2008, 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

mintaka wrote:
Is that a rear brake only on that? I didn't see anything on the front tire that would indicate any brakes there. What was the cost of the frame? or the springer front end for that matter? How did you accomodate the drive sprocket offset with the 200mm rear tire? Very sweet ride by the way! Was that a 750 bore kit that was done on that engine?

thanks..
No engine work on this one other then the standard overhaul we do to all of our bikes..
And you are correct NO front brake.a majority of our builds don't have them unless the customer requested it,but tht hardly ever happens.
frame with springer will run you about $1400 plus shipping..
mintaka

PostPosted: October 29, 2008, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

Two things that have always made me hesitate thinking about using a 200mm tire with this engine is the mechanism for offsetting the drive sprocket and the possibility that the engine is a little underpowered for that size tire. Whats your take on those issues? Are you guys using the offset kit from chopper gary at www.650motorcycles.com...Tires.html ? With the additional weight of a 200mm tire over the stock 130mm's, does it seem a bit underpowered?
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: October 29, 2008, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

This bike rolls out no problem.we put about 150 miles on it on sunday riding the insterstae and back roads and it didn't miss a lick .but I do not ride a 200 tire bike..I am running the stock 16 on mine..we made the offset sprocket ourselves..
if you have the right drive sprocket and the propper toothed rear sprocket it causes no issues..
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: October 30, 2008, 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

mintaka wrote:
Two things that have always made me hesitate thinking about using a 200mm tire with this engine is the mechanism for offsetting the drive sprocket and the possibility that the engine is a little underpowered for that size tire. Whats your take on those issues? Are you guys using the offset kit from chopper gary at www.650motorcycles.com...Tires.html ? With the additional weight of a 200mm tire over the stock 130mm's, does it seem a bit underpowered?

I'm using a both a custom offset sprocket from Gary, and a jackshaft setup I built myself for my 240mm rear tire.

So far no issues whatsoever with the drive mechanisms. Does the engine seem underpowered? Not at all, the only thing I have to do is feather the clutch a little bit more when taking off, that's the only time you can feel the bigger tire.

My take on it; a 240 is what I've always wanted, and I couldn't be happier with it Smile

Sorry to the Original poster, didn't mean to jack your thread, that bike looks fantastic, I love the paint, hope mine turns out half as good as that.
mintaka

PostPosted: October 30, 2008, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

Hey YC,
go to 650rider.com/index.php...0222#40222 in the "I'm just sayin.. you know" forum. Got a follow on question about your bike. Don't want to hijack this thread any more than necessary.

Photo Gallery
RI_rider

PostPosted: October 31, 2008, 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

how is the exhaust mounted? i am assume there is an attachment point near the seat on the frame.
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: October 31, 2008, 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ardcore's 9 day 200mm tire build...

your asumption is correct if you go up to the crappy pics youcan see how they are attached..zip ties were just temporary...

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1