650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > I've got a cafe project!!!!

I've got a cafe project!!!!
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
ajohnson

PostPosted: August 3, 2006, 3:06 pm    Post subject: I've got a cafe project!!!!

Well it's a bit of a basket case, but I got ahold of an xs650 with two motors, two sets of carbs, and a load of other parts, and I think I will do a cafe job on it.

I don't want to get too crazy, and the first step is obviously making a running motorcycle. After this I will probably think about a seat and new bars, and possibly some suspension upgrades, (stock front forks are OK, though I may lower the trees on them) perhaps longer shocks in the rear? After this I will probably try to cut weight and gain "air" in the midsection by moving the battery/wiring and removing the airbox. Also, I like being able to stop fast Shocked , and I know this is a debated point but I will probably set up the front wheel with dual discs, stainless lines, etc. I know the the SR500 has some interchangable parts with the XS and I would like a rear disc, does anyone know if the swingarm and wheel from the SR can be installed on the XS?

For the motor I will buy a gasket kit and tear it down to see what the damage is like. Both of them turn, but the ignitions and points seem to be heavily tampered with, and who knows what shadetree mechanic worked on them previously.

The tank that I have will work, but it is ugly, eventually I will replace it but for now I just want to get it on the road.

I guess I am just introducing yall to the bike. I am very open to suggestions about style or performance. This will be almost a complete rebuild, heres your chance to get your two cents in before any decisions are made. If anyone knows a good place for parts I sure could use it.

I will post pictures as soon as I can get started.

Thanks,
Andy
Jack

PostPosted: August 3, 2006, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I've got a cafe project!!!!

If the SR has a cushion drive build into the wheel hub,you may have difficulties is getting a rear custom sprocket for a tooth count less then 34 or 34 its self. The swing arm can't help you there..............Jack
ajohnson

PostPosted: August 3, 2006, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I've got a cafe project!!!!

thanks jack,
i guess i'll just use the rear drum, i'm sure it will be plenty.
5twins

PostPosted: August 6, 2006, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I've got a cafe project!!!!

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 10, 2009, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajohnson

PostPosted: August 6, 2006, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I've got a cafe project!!!!

thanks 5twins, that could be real helpful. Now that I have been thinking about it, are there any mag wheels that can be fitted? I like the idea of lighter wheels and no tube, but I would rather not do too much modifying to make it work.
Jack

PostPosted: August 6, 2006, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I've got a cafe project!!!!

When swapping out spokes for aluminum rims you need to choose wisely as weight savings could be a total lose cuz the technology to build lighter alloy rims didn't exsist back in the eighties or mid way through the ninties. The most weight savings I've discovered are rims from a RZ 350,the back was 10 lbs lighter but was unfortunate to locate the front rim,so I bought a matching set off a SRX 600 and gained 5 lbs on the rear over the RZ and the front with dual disc weight the exact as a stock XS front. Most weight loses will come from modern sport bike 17 inch wheels but the draw back here is the initial cost of modern rubber over a basic 18 inch combination.

With most wheel conversions are a simple bearing swapping, maybe an axle and different sized wheel spacers..............Jack
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I've got a cafe project!!!!

IF YOU ARE LLOKING FOR REAR SHOCKS TRY LOUDFASTUGLY.COM GOOD GUY IN NEW YORK. HE WILL SET UP SHOCK BODIES WITH SPRINGS TO MATCH YOU OR YOUR SETUP. HAS SOME SWEET OLD SCHOOL HAMMER TYPE SHOCKS. GOOD LUCK,
I AM DOING S CAFE RIGHT NOW AND THE BUILD UP IS A LITTLE SLOWER THAN EXPECTED.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1