650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > 83 xs won't start....help!!!

83 xs won't start....help!!!
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
chopt650

PostPosted: August 3, 2006, 7:00 pm    Post subject: 83 xs won't start....help!!!

i got an 83 xs 650 with all new electrics, electronic ignition. i feel like the problem with it not starting is in the carbs. it will fire with starting fluid or if i hold the throttle wide open. when it does start it will not rev up and clean itself out, and if i chop the throttle at all it dies. i've sprayed the carbs out with gumout and installed new jets, but still nothing. i haven't actually gone all the way and soaked it in carb cleaner. also, it was running fine until i got home and it started cutting out... i caosted into my garage. i have a new clean gas tank now, the old on was full of rusty scale that was almost like concrete in the bottom of the float bowls. i guess my question is about the diaphragm actuated slides, i figure that they should be opening whenever it does start and i don't think they are. also, has anyone ever installed a sety of mikuni round slides with any luck? they promise more throttle response, power, etc.. i kind of like the idea because they are more like what i'm used to on my motocross bikes. thanks for any help you all can offer... great web site.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 3, 2006, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 83 xs won't start....help!!!

sounds like you need to clean the (low speed ) pilot jets and passageways starting it at full throttle doesn't sound like it's the best idea in the world and starter fluid will damage your pistons (detonation) clean the carbs and all passages - the CV carbs lift the slides as the engine pulls more air the round slides have a faster throttle responce when jetted correctly there is several places selling carb sets easy to fiind info
Jack

PostPosted: August 3, 2006, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 83 xs won't start....help!!!

To check the slides,just push up and they should return by the diaphram spring pressure,if not then you'll most likely need to locate the problem,could be trash. Did you use compressed air to clear the fuel passages of built up debris? I know this may sound silley but make sure the fuel bowls are receiving fuel but if you haven't throughly soaked them with a decent carburetor cleaner,your fighting a losing battle here. And if you soak them ,remember to remove the butter fly shaft seals as a GOOD cleaner will desrtoy them in minutes..........Jack
chopt650

PostPosted: August 5, 2006, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 83 xs won't start....help!!!

thanks for the tips. especially the one about the shaft seals... it says in the service manual to make sure the rubber parts are out of there, but i wouldn't have taken the butterflies out. after i get back i'll be heading for the auto parts store to pick up a gallon of that stuff that strips the paint off the walls when you open the can! i've heard the stuff that napa sells is good. hopefully i'll be posting a picture of this thing going down the road soon!

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1