650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Difficulty finding neutral when engine is running

Difficulty finding neutral when engine is running
    Forum Index -> Drive
XSiv

PostPosted: June 28, 2006, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Difficulty finding neutral when engine is running

Hey all,

Pretty much what the subject says. When the bike is warm and running, it's nearly impossible for me to find neutral. I have no trouble clicking through all the other gears, but finding that magic spot between 1st and 2nd just doesn't happen.

I popped over to MikesXS and found these helpful hints:
Quote::
20. Q. Why is it hard to get my bike in gear or to find neutral ?
A. 1. - Clutch Not adjusted properly at engine.
2. - Worn Clutch push screw parts.
3. - Needle bearing between clutch hubs is worn. (very noticable when engine is hot as neutral is difficult to find and clutch does not fully release ).
4. - Cable worn, improperly routed or not lubricated.

but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should consider. I'm 99.9% certain it's a clutch issue. I haven't pulled out the tools just yet. Any help before I tear into this project?

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 24, 2006, 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty finding neutral when engine is running

you're already found the anwser the only thing else is to consider is replacing the oil seal and bushing in the countershaft (sprocket side) the bushing prevent side to side wobble, mikes also has a one piece clutch push rod might help jayel
john81xs

PostPosted: July 26, 2006, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty finding neutral when engine is running

i have encountered this problem recently myself.....i thought hey i"ll pick up a cable luber tool and get'er done...well upon further inspection when i pulled the cable out of the top control, it became all to clear what the problem was when i seen that there was about four strands of cable left before she was ready to go bye bye...man i replaced the cable,adjusted her out and man what a difference it made shifting,and i found neutral every single time.....i usually pride myself on fixing potential problems,but it seems everything i assume is ok,turns out to be the exact opposite......but you live and learn.....thanks everyone..........john Idea
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 4, 2006, 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty finding neutral when engine is running

Not enough oil is getting to the clutch from the main galley.

John Underwood.

Last edited by xsjohn on December 21, 2006, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: August 4, 2006, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty finding neutral when engine is running

The first couple of years had the O-rings in the clutch, then they stopped using that system--maybe a function issue, maybe price-point. The wormgear adjustment's darn touchy; takes a lot of lube/cleaning and a little fiddling to find the true contact point in the adjustor.

PostPosted: August 4, 2006, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty finding neutral when engine is running

I had 2 customer bikes with same encounter and found both to be adjustment issues, also found one that the ckutch when removed was at the max wear limits which really confused me because one would have thought that the more a clutch is worn the easier it should have been to shift itinto neutral.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1