650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > clutch pressure and front disc question

clutch pressure and front disc question
    Forum Index -> Drive
xs2Doug

PostPosted: July 3, 2006, 10:33 am    Post subject: clutch pressure and front disc question

Hi,

I have two (unrelated) questions about my 72 xs.

the first is concerning the clutch and the amount of pressure it takes to pull the lever. I recently replaced the cable with a new one (actually there wasn't one on the bike when I got it) and was able to adjust it, etc. but it seems like it takes an unusual amount of pressure to squeeze the lever. problem is, I don't really have anything to compare to. I did notice that I've got a lot of wear (the hole is oval) on the lever and will be needing a new one soon, but its not binding so I suspect its not the culpret. Is there a clutch pressure adjustment? do I change springs or maybe I want it that tight?

the second question is about my front disc.
should it have any play in it or should it be like its made onto the hub? currently I can move mine about 1/8 of an inch forward and back (none side to side).

Thanks again.
Doug.
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 3, 2006, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

Hi doug ... I put a new clutch cable on mine recently ... found it really hard to pull. I walked the oil to it and freed it right up. I guess the new ones don't come lubed. Try it ... may help. The only 'pressure adjustment' I can think of would be the clutch springs. If you recently bought the bike, someone could have shimmed the springs to stop slippage. Does the clutch work ok, besides hard to pull? Grasping at straws here Smile

Front disc brake ... I'm not fimaliar with 72's ... have a 78 ... but I can tell ya there should be no play any way. Wondering if you bought it that way? Or did this develop over time? Sounds like a disc was fitted that isn't stock ... bolts loose? ... just can't see a disc moving that way. Maybe a little more info on the history and someone can help you further.
xs2Doug

PostPosted: July 3, 2006, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

thanks jimmer,

no, everything was as I bought it. its not road worthy yet so can't say about slippage. wouldn't surpise me though, based on the other things I've found.

I'll try lubbing the cable for sure.

As for the disc, I first thought that the bolts holding the disc ring were loose. checking the disc for play showed that the center 'hub' that the disc ring bolts to, has some play. I would hold off on pulling the wheel if this were normal but likely not. huh.
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 3, 2006, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

You'll have to detimine which is wrong, 'disc' or 'disc bracket'. I suspect disc (uneducated guess 50/50chance) Very Happy

Are you famaliar with www.biker.net ?
www.biker.net/70-73_65...0main.html
... waaaay down the bottem left frame ... 'Front wheel'

I'm sure others can give you more info ... just wait a bit ... good luck with it Doug!
xs2Doug

PostPosted: July 4, 2006, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

o.k....lubing the cable has seemed to loosen it up considerably.

as for the disc, I removed the front wheel and can't find anything that appears worn. the disc bracket has two lugs that fit into two recesses. neither looks worn but there's still about an eighth inch of back and forth play?
chili

PostPosted: July 4, 2006, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

is this a solid disc or a "floating" disc? By floating I mean is the friction ring attached the brake center with about six little 'buttons'. Either way there should be no movement, but if its a floating disc you may just need new buttons.

chili
Peke

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

Show us a picture, easier to tell whats wrong.
But i say normally there should be no play at all.

Only sometimes when the "buttons" are worn theres a little sideway play when ya have a floating disc.
xs2Doug

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

I'll snap a picture for sure.

but the best I can describe, the there's a 'hub' that the holds the actual disc and then the wheel hub with spokes attached etc.

these two pieces stack together when you reassemble the front wheel in the forks. they don't fasten together and there is nothing missing. they just 'nest' one into the other kind of like when you line something up with a shaft and a key. both sides look like cast aluminum pieces and don't show any wear?
xs2Doug

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

I'll snap a picture for sure.

but the best I can describe, the there's a 'hub' that the holds the actual disc and then the wheel hub with spokes attached etc.

these two pieces stack together when you reassemble the front wheel in the forks. they don't fasten together and there is nothing missing. they just 'nest' one into the other kind of like when you line something up with a shaft and a key. both sides look like cast aluminum pieces and don't show any wear?
grizld1

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

You've described the stock pre-'77 disc assembly, which was a 2-piece non-floating system. The rotor hub was shaped like an 8-pointed star, and each point had a hole for a bolt which passed through a matching hole in the rotor and secured it. There should be no play when the front wheel's buttoned up. To see what should be there, go to www.yamahapart.com.

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

Oh.....ok.

Great site. I see that they list a 'damper' which I'm guessing is long gone on mine? not sure what it is or where to get one or ???

Anyone?
grizld1

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

If you're referring to the steering damper, the old friction dampers were useless, IMHO. Back in the day when those things were current, I paid attention to the suspension bearings, tires and wheels and left that thing full loose. The way they worked was to pull a plate up against the bottom of the lower fork clamp by means of a threaded rod.

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

no, not that damper (although I did wonder about that contraption too...)

This is from the exploded view of the front wheel assembly. they show and list a damper? about the size of a postage stamp and I'm guessing, made of rubber or something similar?
grizld1

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

I see it. Looks like you may have found at least part of the problem. I don't have a complete assembly with one of those in my parts stash, unfortunately. Try Top Dog Yamaha at www.yamatopdog.com.

PostPosted: August 4, 2006, 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pressure and front disc question

You have to clean and lube the push lever assembly on the generator cover more often that you think. This wil cause hard clutching every time the push lever gets dirty or looses it lube.
Old Yamaha Mechanic John Underwood
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1