650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > 1" Bars

1" Bars
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
veetors

PostPosted: April 4, 2006, 12:35 pm    Post subject: 1" Bars

Has anyone here switched to 1" bars? if so what did you use for risers? Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 4, 2006, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

I Used HD or aftermarket type. As long as they dont have a 1 piece cap. HD's and XS's width are not the same.
Photo Gallery
veetors

PostPosted: April 4, 2006, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

thanks. J&P cycle

this is what I plan on using for the throttle.
Phred

PostPosted: April 4, 2006, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

Im looking at the same throttle-it's the best price I've found on an internal throttle kit. I dont think it will be any problem adapting it to the twin-carbs, as I have already modded the cables to use a single-pull throttle.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 4, 2006, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

I'll let you guy's work the kinks out installing one of these. Don't know that it would have as many cable style / lentghs as a regular style throttle. With my 6" riser and 18" apes the longest HD throttle cable was JUST long enough. With a more modest setup it may not be as bad. A Harley carb is at least a foot closer to the throttle than the rear left carb on an XS. I also had to add a spacer on the carb so the free lentgh was right for an XS.
Photo Gallery
veetors

PostPosted: April 6, 2006, 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

did you have to replace the rubber bushings in order to use the risers?

Last edited by veetors on April 6, 2006, 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 6, 2006, 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

No just used 1/2" bolts through the stock Yamaha rubbers. I may try and solid mount mine due to the extended height of my set up, it gives me some wobble with only my throttle hand on the bars. A normal set of bars would work fine.
Photo Gallery
650chopper

PostPosted: April 7, 2006, 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

what kind of controls are you using for the 1" bars
veetors

PostPosted: April 7, 2006, 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

the only thing that is going to be on the bars is the internal throttle. I am going to have suicide shift, no front brake, no signals, ignition will be mounted under the tank, not sure where I am going to mount the speedo yet, high beam switch will be relocated somewhere else also. I am going for a clean, bare and simple looking bike. We will see how it works out in the end Confused
veetors

PostPosted: April 8, 2006, 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

here are some updated pics

click here for webpage
gstreet

PostPosted: August 4, 2006, 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1" Bars

I went to one inch and it was kind of a pain, but I knew some dudes that would make cables for me. That is the biggest deal, getting cables to fit the one inch. what ever you do, dont ever throw away your old fittings. the rear brake thing, if your going to not run a rear brake, be prepared to weld a bunch, unless you arnt stretching it out.

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1