650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > whats up with wire cutting

whats up with wire cutting
    Forum Index -> Electrical
royfisk

PostPosted: July 23, 2006, 7:45 am    Post subject: whats up with wire cutting

You Know it seems like every bike I work on seems to have had the same jamoke work on it before me. Why do people cut up there wireing harnesses. I dont get it. Then even worse they put those stupid crimp connections in there that work so great for a short period of time. Dont people know that they are a temperary fix to get you home?? I have had probably 3 bikes this year with electrical issues and the culpret was faulty crimps. Carroded, worked loose etc. Dont these people who ride these bikes know that these do vibrate?? And that crimp connections dont like vibration. Oh well I guess it keeps me in the solder and heat shrink business, and waist of alot of time. I have found that on bikes with a good wireing harness that there usually not a harness problem, and as far as factory connections go they may need cleaning but seldomly are the so bad that they need to be cut out of the harness or partially cut out. Any one else see this or is it just me that finds this???
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 23, 2006, 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: whats up with wire cutting

amen brother i was straightening out the wiring on my xs after i bought it and the wires would be cut four inches from a connector and pigtailed back together and covered in a ball of black tape it's a wonder these people can breath with their heads so far up you know where
smokeyman66
Moderator Swap Meet
Moderator Swap Meet

PostPosted: July 28, 2006, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: whats up with wire cutting

I am with you guys on this. I got my XS in boxes and ended up spending a lot of my time manufacturing a brand new harness from scratch. It's not that difficult to do the job right, may take a little more time than scotch locks, but at least when your done you don't have to worry about it. Yes the guy I bought mine from must have had stock in scotch locks and electrical tape.
grizld1

PostPosted: July 29, 2006, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: whats up with wire cutting

Hey guys, if it weren't for morons screwing things up, where would we get cheap ridin' iron and parts bikes? How would rookies get the learning experiences that turn 'em into wrenches? How would ya get the entertainment that comes when some clown says "Starter never worked on those things" and ya grin, touch the button, and fire a built-out motor on the first tick?

Bet those scoots woulda set ya back lots more if the PO's had known how to run solder joints!

PostPosted: July 30, 2006, 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: whats up with wire cutting

grizld1; you are probably right there , And beleive me I really dont mind doing the work , I was just wondering if it were only me who got this stuff. I feel a whole lot better knowing that ( I guess everyone runs into it.) And had hopes that newbys to this site mite learn something and not make the same mistakes that some of there predisessors have made. It still amases me that people will cut up perfectly good wireing harnesses. Just to start the machine and watch what is left go up in smoke. Its almost as bad as the ocassional goldwing rider that has 60 plus lights on his gl1000 and cant figure out why his battery wont stay charged. My real message here is that I find that electrical problems GENERALLY do not originate from faulty wireing, Mayby a bad connection but seldomly the wireing itself. UNTIL someone hacks it up, and my hopes are that riders here will get this message and perhaps have a much more enjoyable time RIDING there motorcycle then trying to figure out what went wrong 200 miles away from home.. I also now instal a second groung to xs-650 bikes from the battery to the engine and have seen a much improved starting circuit, as well as chargeing circuit. Probably 60% of electrical problems that would cause a person to hack up his harness are really ground issues.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1