650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?

Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 6, 2008, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?

Guys,

Check out the views of my preferred (and fab looking in my opinion) resto rod style exhaust setup.

Its been my dream to get some rocket pipes like these since way back, but I fear this setup will melt the powder on the frame and or the seals and paint on the shocks.

Whats your view?

Turn Outs are cool, but dont looks so mean Smile

side view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.55 KB
 Viewed:  379 Time(s)

side view.jpg

top view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.8 KB
 Viewed:  422 Time(s)

top view.jpg

back view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  193.76 KB
 Viewed:  306 Time(s)

back view.jpg

Photo Gallery
beys

PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powd

Really look great!
I wouldn't care, mate! Nothing will happen to your shock an swing arm unless you don't use it as a cicular saw
www.xs650.de/phpwebalb...RzYXYuanBn
or stuff like that!

MZ TS 250/1 with sidecar '77
XS 650 Euro 447 Standard '80,
XT 500 '81
XS 650 US 5V4 Heritage '82
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?

So you dont think the hot gases will damage it?

I thought they might actually pulse past it, and when I am moving forward the air movement would inturn cool the parts.
??

So I guess you are saying it will be OK Beys?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powd

I'd keep a fire extinguisher handy

t_top_view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.47 KB
 Viewed:  286 Time(s)

t_top_view.jpg

TheDude

PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?

I'd have to agree with beys. That setup looks baaaaad-ass. It's worth finding out the hard fun way.

By the way, did you bend those pipes your self?

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?

No the pipes are part of an old UK made two into one setup that was horrible, but they follow some cool lines, so I kept the headers.

They will be wrapped when the bike is done Smile

I like your pic jayel and in a sense thats my concern,

Do you think it will ruin the parts and powder coat?
Photo Gallery
akajoker

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?

Jake68 wrote:
No the pipes are part of an old UK made two into one setup that was horrible, but they follow some cool lines, so I kept the headers.

It should have no effect on parts or powder coat. the temps of the air coming out of the pipe should not be hot enough to effect either. The powder for sure. I do some powder coating on the side and would think nothing of the powder and exhaust being like that. Keep in mind, powder when 1st sprayed, will not start to fluidize (flow out) until right around 180 Degrees, and then it CURES at 400 degrees, so you should be fine.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 24, 2008, 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?

no I've seen pipes routed closer than that with no problem, and if you wrap them even better, I was just pulling your chain a little
PixieXS

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powd

Jake68 wrote:

Motad headers?
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powd

Yeah Motad Sad LOL...

BUT...the news is good..100 Miles so far and no melting Smile
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powd

I have had no problems w/ mine and they are a bit shorter and a bit closer to the frame....been rolling it for 2000+miles

dscf0074.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.12 KB
 Viewed:  322 Time(s)

dscf0074.jpg

PixieXS

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powd

Jake68 wrote:
Yeah Motad Sad LOL...

BUT...the news is good..100 Miles so far and no melting Smile

LOL got a set of motad headers on mine, with reverse cone mega's on them.

Will post a pic of them in mock up over the weekend

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?

Sure...thats a nice bike just the kinda layout I like on a hard tail of any kind...my preference would be for a tad less length, but all in all thats a good 9/10 my friend Smile
Photo Gallery
PixieXS

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powd

Motad headers with reverse cone mega's - this was the first mock up, the top silencer now lines up with the bottom one and obviously on final assembly the clamps will be fitted properly Very Happy .

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powd

Looks like you got the same seat as me, crikey, hold on, take it easy, dont make it too much like mine will yer...:-)

bike1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  252.4 KB
 Viewed:  329 Time(s)

bike1.jpg

Photo Gallery
renloy

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powder?

Damn Jake thats a sexy bike
PixieXS

PostPosted: August 28, 2008, 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Look Great! But Will They Set Fire To My Shocks and Powd

Jake68 wrote:
Looks like you got the same seat as me, crikey, hold on, take it easy, dont make it too much like mine will yer...:-)

LOL I think all of us in the UK are using the same seat from the same supplier, who is a member on this forum Smile

Don't worry it won't be black, probably will be finished in the old Steve Baker TZ colours so that its a bit different from all the Kenny Roberts ones that seem to be popping up in the UK.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1