650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
steveypsi

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 7:48 am    Post subject: Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

I used a piece of 3/16 aluminum X 1 inch wide X 10 inches long, I doubled it for strength.
Pipe's I bought From Mikes XS $139.00 set
2 1992 Harley sporster Mufflers (they are 1200 and 883, fits either says on them)
Used his 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 Inch adapter that is a single piece 1 inch long
used his clamp 1 3/4
Heres a movie and photos of the hanger, real easy to make and I can still use the center stand
as it barely touches the muffler, 1/4 inch piece of rubber and it will be fine.
Steel would have been stronger but I thought I would use the aluminum for looks
You can see where I mounted it to the old muffler mount and the foot peg mount, I could
put the foot peg back on by grind a flat spot on the aluminum but I am not going to be
riding any one.
The trick is just mount the head pipe in loose, all most to the point of being snug so it
can be turned in and out.
the holes in the mount , The foot peg hole or rear hole is centered, the Old muffler mount
hole is higher that center of the aluminum piece and the hole for the bolt into the Harley tab is real high
in the aluminum, what this does by having the 2 big mounting holes one centered and the other above
center is pull the muffler up at the rear to clear the centerstand
this is a 1979 XS that I bought for 400 bucks and am cleaning it up
movie, just so you can hear the sound
By the way I used the Adapter to mark on the head pipe witha wax pencil one inch because when I drove the muffler on I wanted both to be in the same distance, if I had not marked it it would be impossible to tell how far the muffler was on, kept them both even this way
used a big leather hammer, started with a brass hammer but it chiped off crome,DUHHHH, could have used a 2X4 and a hammer also

s221.photobucket.com/a...ermade.flv

photos of the hanger
i221.photobucket.com/a...ler003.jpg
i221.photobucket.com/a...ler004.jpg
i221.photobucket.com/a...ler007.jpg
i221.photobucket.com/a...ler008.jpg
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

If you have to remove the back wheel or tighten the chain is there clearance?

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

You can adjust the chain with it mounted
to remove rear wheel bolt if I take out the bolt at the rear of my mount that go's into the mounting tab built on the harly muffler the mufflers will drop down far enough to clear the bolt coming out, to be sure I know that if I just loosen the Headpipe nuts and it will move a long way down or out and will clear for sure, I am pretty sure it will drop about 3 or 4 inchs if just the rear bolt is taken out that holds the rear of the muffler
Heres a photo before I made the mount, you can see how low it hangs
i221.photobucket.com/a...r002-1.jpg

I also can cut off at least 2 inchs of the head pipe at the rear and that would let it clear with out doing any thing
I will just do that, look at this photo of the muffler joining the head pipe, about 3 to 4 inchs of excess there, it would also make that Mount that I made shorter and stronger
i221.photobucket.com/a...ler005.jpg
Thanks for pointing that out, I could do what I say above but I will take the time to just cut off at least 2 inchs at the rear of the head pipe and solve all the bolt removeable problems like removing and looseing nuts,
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

steveypsi seems I've read somewhere the motor responds better with head pipes at 31" long. You might want to investigate this further?
Or maybe someone else that remembers better than I will chime in.
ps I liked the falcons flight looks like fun stuff

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

well I went out to the garage and it wouldn't do any good to cut 2 or 3 inchs off , the muffler will still be in front of the rear wheel bolt, so I will just drop it down when and if I need to remove the tire
what do you mean ""I liked the falcons flight looks like fun stuff""
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

Love it, i want to put some HD fish tails on next year. How do you like the sound as oposed to stock.
Photo Gallery
steveypsi

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

As far as sound go's it seems to be close to stock, maybe a tiny bit more rumble but the muffs were free and (got with a 92 1200 Sporster I bought)
and they are really good quality muffs, there is a lot of them out there, every one changes to the screaming eagle pipes and muff's.
OH that plane, That I built from scratch out of meat tray foam, I have about 35 planes also, take photos from the air and just fly them, I will post a movie of the first flight, its funny, never know how they are going to fly when scratch built
heres the movie off topic but diffront
s221.photobucket.com/a...flight.flv
Photo Gallery
steveypsi

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Harley Sporster Muffler on the XS, One piece

Joseph wrote:
Love it, i want to put some HD fish tails on next year. How do you like the sound as oposed to stock.
heres a movie of it running with the sound
s221.photobucket.com/a...ermade.flv
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1