650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Closer!!!!!

Closer!!!!!
    Forum Index -> Engine
qferret
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 4, 2006, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Closer!!!!!

OK...Its ALIVE!!!

Now, before I get all excited and try going for a road trip....

The left carb is spitting gas OUT...

Is this indicative of something in the carb, or did I swap out an intake valve with another that was still slightly warped? I'm kind of leaning toward the latter (gas getting blown out of the cylinder through the slightly open intake valve during compression), but I wanted to get a second opinion before I pull the head again. The valve does move up and down with the rocker, but it's hard to say if it is closing all the way or not. (It's real close if it isn't)

I'm gettin' pretty damn good at pullin' that motor out now. I can do a complete motor swap in less than 2 hours. Practice makes perfect LOL. Rolling Eyes

I'm so close! I hope I can get a couple months of riding in before it gets too cold again...
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Closer!!!!!

A bleed-down compression test is faster than pulling the head. If that shows a leak at the valve, take the head in and have the valves ground and lapped to the seats. You gotta get real lucky to just stick one in and have it work!
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Closer!!!!!

I didn't regrind, but I did lap them.

I usually get lucky on things like this, but this bike seems somehow cursed Wink

I'll let ya know how it works out after the machining.

On the bright side, the bike is beginning to look good since I go out and start polishing something when I get frustrated with the motor. Very Happy
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Closer!!!!!

Can't see how you'd get full contact lapping in if the valve was warped--if she holds compression on the bleed-down, you might wanta check float level, atomizer O-ring and float bowl gasket condition near the atomizer on the spittin' carbie.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Closer!!!!!

F*(&^*)!!!!

Cracked head.....

Good thing I have 2 others

Unfortunately the guides are shot on both, so.... to the machine shop one goes...unless Mike's has all the stuff I need in stock and will overnight Very Happy

This bike had better be good to me when I get done undoing the work of Og Wink
Photo Gallery
qferret
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2006, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Closer!!!!!

I FINALLY caught a break! Wink

Since the head was cracked I took the one off of my most recently acquired engine, which I figured had shot guides from the oil in the muffler. never thought I'd be GLAD to tear the head off and find a holed piston!

The head was still in good shape, so I was up until 3 AM putting the new head on and hooking everything back up.

I went for a ride this morning. Very Happy

(Actually I was gon ride it to work, but the infamous XS vibration started knocking screws loose...)
I have enough screws loose...don't need 'em on my bike, so now I'm in the process of threadlocking all of the stuff that doesn't need to be torqued.

Next question though...timing...
I had to advance the hell out of it to get it to start (still needs tweaking, but it starts on the first kick)

What would cause that? I'm talking having the timing mark almost 5 mm to the left of the full advance mark at tickover...

All I can say is, it's good to have a bike that can daylight the front end without clutching again Twisted Evil
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1