650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Under Seat Fuses

Under Seat Fuses
    Forum Index -> Electrical
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 4, 2005, 7:34 am    Post subject: Under Seat Fuses

Near the end of a very nice 80 mile ride I hit an abrupt type bump and then wala no more motor @*&%$&!!!!!! Actually I figured it out in less than a minute, kinda scary, my lighting fuse in the underseat fuseblock had came loose, which must also power the ignition and starting circuit. The fuse clamps are not good anymore I had to push the fuse to the bottom of the brackets to hold it tightly, not giving me the warm / fuzzy feeling of a reliable long time repair. Was thinking of getting and installing a "Blade Type" fuse block to replace / upgrade. Was curious if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it, Thanks! Happy 4th of July to all!!!!!! Now as long as the rain holds off I'll be seeing Ted Nugent rocking the "Fair St. Louis"
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: July 4, 2005, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Under Seat Fuses

Has anyone else had this problem? Nah--only folks with old bikes and clip-type fuse holders! You're on the right track thinking blade fuses. A lot of folks eliminate most of the fuse block and run a single fuse, as in the pre-'78 machines (I don't care for that solution, myself). Another option is just to eliminate the fuse block and install blade fuse holders lead-by-lead, which is the way I rigged the Model F I had awhile back.
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 13, 2005, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Seat Fuses

Installed my new Fuses Tonight. Feel much more confident about the reliabilty. Got the fuse panel from the local "Auto Zone" for a few bucks, soldered the wires and complete in about a 1/2 hour.

fusereplacement.jpg
 Description:
Start
 Filesize:  38.3 KB
 Viewed:  382 Time(s)

fusereplacement.jpg

fusereplacement1.jpg
 Description:
Getting There
 Filesize:  51.09 KB
 Viewed:  422 Time(s)

fusereplacement1.jpg

fusereplacement2.jpg
 Description:
Complete
 Filesize:  40.39 KB
 Viewed:  389 Time(s)

fusereplacement2.jpg

Photo Gallery
Gotlieb1

PostPosted: November 14, 2005, 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Under Seat Fuses

Just curious where you got the blade fuse block and how much?
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: November 14, 2005, 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Under Seat Fuses

I got it at "Advance Auto Parts" I would any of the "Chain" type Auto places would have it or something simular. It was less than $10.

Last edited by mo650chopper on November 23, 2005, 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Gonzodog

PostPosted: November 23, 2005, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Seat Fuses

Yamaha sells replacement clips if you want to retain the original fuse block.
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Seat Fuses

I am curious - when the lighting fuse came loose - did the bike die -
or did the lighting fuse keep you from re-starting?

I am investigating an intermittent engine stop problem that seems to lead to the "safety relay" (lighting and starter) but according to the Yamaha wiring diagram - the ignition system shares nothing with the safety relay.

Your symptoms seem to indicate that they do....

please let me know.

Jim
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1