650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Can anyone name this part?

Can anyone name this part?
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
bsmyton

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 9:12 am    Post subject: Can anyone name this part?

Hello,

I was replacing my bushings on the swingarm. Everything went so well. Except for this part that rolled out onto the garage floor. I don't know where it goes. I would like to put it back before I reinstall the swingarm. I have included pictures. Please tell me where it goes. Thanks, B.

img_0165.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.21 KB
 Viewed:  250 Time(s)

img_0165.jpg

img_0163.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.76 KB
 Viewed:  251 Time(s)

img_0163.jpg

wesleyonoel

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

On my TX 650 there is a "loop" near the pivot point of the swing arm - chain guard side - which is where the front of the guard is secured. On the chain guard there is a "stud" that fits inside the loop. On the "stud" there should be a rubber grommet. The piece that fell to the floor in your photos looks a lot like that grommet.....................Wes
5twins

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

I'm thinking it's the grommet for the later chain guard. This style bolts to the top of the swingarm at the front. There is a tab on the front of the chainguard and the grommet along with a steel sleeve fits into it. You want the steel sleeve so the bolt doesn't squeeze the grommet too much. Part #s 22 & 23 below .....

late chainguard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.19 KB
 Viewed:  238 Time(s)

late chainguard.jpg

bsmyton

PostPosted: January 6, 2008, 7:49 pm    Post subject: I thought so too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Got any more? I too thought that it looked like a chain guard bushing. Thing is I didn't remove my chain guard. I don't think it could fall out without removing a bolt and my chain guard. Also upon inspection my guard seems secure and properly installed. Shocked Question Sad
xsleo

PostPosted: January 7, 2008, 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

what year is your bike. it may help to identify the part.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
bsmyton

PostPosted: January 7, 2008, 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: what year is your bike. it may help to identify the part

Good call. It is a 1981 with wire wheels and a drum brake on the back. What exactly is the difference between xs650h and xs650sh?
5twins

PostPosted: January 7, 2008, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

There are several similar grommets with screws through them holding the various electrical components on under the side covers (to the sides of the battery box). Maybe you lost one of these screws and the grommet fell out?
xsleo

PostPosted: January 8, 2008, 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

the parts lists show the main difference is the wheels, h has spokes, sh has mags. there may be other differences, paint, model name, but mechanically they are the same. it could be one of the side cover grommets. parts list shows two at the top of cover.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 20, 2008, 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

1) Lay that grommet on the floor, under the bike where you found it.
2) Stare at it belligerently.
3) Using your firmest voice and most assertive tone, say: "Jump back up in there, you rubber sumbitch."

That usually works for me.

Jimmy
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

That is what's commonly known as an Extra Piece. These are included in all mechanical devices and are routinely found by amateur mechanics.

I have heard them called hickymajiggers....but that is actually entirely something different.

In most home garages there is a specialized storage device for such Extra Pieces. Generally it resembles a used pickle jar.

In general these Extra Pieces are saved in said storage device. Occasionally a specific purpose is later discovered for the Extra Pieces, but this is invariably after the vehicle they belong to is long gone. This is why the storage devices tend to continue to fill up. Also occasionally an alternative improvised application of the Extra Piece is discovered. This is quite typical for small rubber grommets and washers as they make excellent spacers for other pieces that refuse to come together in any kind of cooperative manner.

In conclusion: It's definitely an Extra Piece. We all have them. If you need one just stop by. I have about 25 years worth of them......and counting......
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

When I have parts left over I call that "in the field modification". SURELY you are smarter than those pencil pushing engineer guys! If the bike HAD to have that part on it you would have reinstalled it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

That's much better than the "in motion modification".......I've lost a few Extra Pieces that way too......
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

Reminds me of a funny story,and I'll try to keep it brief.
Last two years I have owned a 79 Kawaski KZ650SR. Inline 4 cylinder and made friends with a guy who ended up buying a 76 KZ750 Twin. One day he called me and had an experience he had to tell me about.
He was out riding his 750 twin and slowed to stop at a light. When he tried to downshift he realized his shifter was gone. Pulled in the clutch, managed to get stopped. Thinking about the light just a few block or so down the street he remembered shifting there so he walked back the way he had come and after about a block, there was his shifter, lying in the street. And of course as soon as he saw it, a car came along and ran over it, sending it flying. Lucklily he was able to get it back but the part you put your foot on was bent and he was barely able to get it on, holding it on with his foot,, limp to a gas station where they loaned him a pair of pliers (lawyers know nothing of tool kits but I still like him) . Tightened it up and got home. He brought it to me one evening at the fire station and we put it in the vise and got it straightened out. Used a nut with a nylon locking center on it the next time. We both had a good laugh.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

Same thing happened to me once, but I was getting off an interstate when I noticed it gone.

A small pair of vice grips in my tool roll solved the problem. But I had to put them on sticking straight up. Rode across three states that way....picking my leg up high and back to grab a shift. Couldn't reach down and shift jockey style because I needed my left hand on the clutch, though I did try it and shift without the clutch a bit, the bike didn't like it so I quit trying it.
santiablo

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

hey bsmyton on my 74 if you take the seat off and look at wehre the rear fender fits in the frame there are a few "studs" that come off the frame as if to make sure the fender sets in the right place there not ataced to the fender at all but there are rubber gromet that looks just like that one that keep the points on the frame from screwen up the fender mine are prety dry roted but a few of them are still there ive had one or 2 fall of with less efort than u just put into ur bike im no mecanic eather but i hope that helped!!!

n atualy Chopdoc my specalised reseptical is and old mud troff. as in the rectangular box u keep ur jointcompound in when ur tapen n floting . . . .least i think thats what it is thats what it was used for any way!! xp
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 25, 2008, 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

I think it's the bushing/spacer that goes between the frame and the backside flange on the airbox. I can post a photo if you want bsmyton.
Jungle_Biker

PostPosted: July 18, 2008, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone name this part?

My guess is that this is an Extra Part that has been sitting there between the swing arm and the frame or engine for quite some time. I worked at a motorcycle shop for several years and I used to see all sorts of things drop out of peoples' bikes when the swing arm was removed. Nuts and bolts are the most common things to drop down in there of course, but rubber grommets are not unknown. Usually the part gets dropped, (maybe the one who dropped it doesn't even know it got dropped), and falls down into the area around the swingarm pivot. By the time the one who dropped it realises that a part is missing, he naturally hunts all over the floor for it, finally giving up and replacing it. The missing part can lurk in the area of the swingarm pivot for years without ever being found.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1