650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
krunk

PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Something like is on this bike:

www.650rider.com/index...at=0&pos=2

Are they custom or is there anywhere on the net to get em? Mikes doesn't have em...
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Try G&L Choppers...

www.freewebs.com/glcho...mparts.htm

Here is a pic of mine...

pipes01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.17 KB
 Viewed:  346 Time(s)

pipes01.jpg

Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

I like your design very much as well.....

Hows the sound? Overly "poppy"?
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

krunk wrote:
I like your design very much as well.....

Hows the sound? Overly "poppy"?

Not sure..havent heard them yet!!1 Laughing
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Whats the diameter of them? There wasn't any specs on that site.
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

youtube.com/watch?v=__...re=related

Does that look like stock headpipes to you guys?

:EDIT:

N/M, I seen the owner say they are stock headpipes with turndowns....sic.

Looks like that's what I'm doing Very Happy
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Make some...........muffler shop.........spend little..........plus you will need to be a carb expert cause every error will be heard.....and it could hurt mileage with all the extra gas to quell it.........

somewhat quiet......56 to the gallon.....3500 at 65 might be another goal.....come and go like hell and unheard.....and actually be able to go some where without all the crap.............???

sorry ....the neighbor kid is dicking with his noise machine again......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

xsjohn wrote:
Make some...........muffler shop.........spend little..........plus you will need to be a carb expert cause every error will be heard.....and it could hurt mileage with all the extra gas to quell it.........

somewhat quiet......56 to the gallon.....3500 at 65 might be another goal.....come and go like hell and unheard.....and actually be able to go some where without all the crap.............???

sorry ....the neighbor kid is dicking with his noise machine again......

xsjohn

Errrr....what? lol

In my defense, I was a mechanic for 8 years and drag raced a '67 Mustang, I can tune some carbs Very Happy

And as far as noise goes....my nieghbors behind and on both sides are cops and they all have Harleys, lol.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Let me know the mileage and show me some plugs....old plugs are cool.....new ones show nothing except that the are new...should have low mid and high same color...and not white...mid grey at least......if not then tuning is wrong somewhere....and hopefully not at cruise where we are all the time.....open the throttle and too rich goodby rings .....maybe not real fast but soon enought.......I may sound like an ass but have made all the mistakes with these myself........and was trained by Yamaha 40 years ago......and have dicked up myself....but luckly figured out why.....well at least hopefully.....been riding constantly 100-200 miles a day on some kind of Yamaha........been watching this site for 3 years now..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

heres a set i bought from ardcorechoppers.com if i had to do it over again, i would have tried to make a set myself. i decided after i bought them that, i wanted a different style. so i will use these until i can learn to make the set i want.

mockup.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.5 KB
 Viewed:  381 Time(s)

mockup.jpg

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

xsjohn wrote:
Let me know the mileage and show me some plugs....old plugs are cool.....new ones show nothing except that the are new...should have low mid and high same color...and not white...mid grey at least......if not then tuning is wrong somewhere....and hopefully not at cruise where we are all the time.....open the throttle and too rich goodby rings .....maybe not real fast but soon enought.......I may sound like an ass but have made all the mistakes with these myself........and was trained by Yamaha 40 years ago......and have dicked up myself....but luckly figured out why.....well at least hopefully.....been riding constantly 100-200 miles a day on some kind of Yamaha........been watching this site for 3 years now..........

xsjohn

Haha, ok ok.

I'm not saying I'm a pro by no means, I'm just saying I'll be able to figure it out, I'm sure if I rejet it, it will be even easier to tune. It's not running yet ATM anyways Very Happy
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Just a bit of a nudge with the fuel......and check it out......didn't mean to sound like a dick.........go low speed with low throttle for a few miles and check the plugs....that's the pilot and mixture screw thing......setting each side with the mix screws for decent color.......mids are harder and the express is cool for that.......critical needle position.......high speed with wot for some time is mj..........kinda have to guess or find a long good high speed up hill.......but too much MJ will wash the rings and cylinders fast.....just a couple of 300 mile trips to the mountains with to big of MJ and the needle in the wrong position and the wrong slope on the needles and rings and cylinders are trashed .....set correctly and can't hurt a thing .............can't tell you how many times I have checked all that..........and found myself fixing something if all that was not correct........

and geared too low the thing is reving to high and it is on the pilots trashing everything..........need to have a bit of a load to open the throttle some to let air and everything else to pass through......dumb ass tractor gearing sucks it all for sure............oh zoom zoon with the stock gearing then ring a ding at high speed........as the turd whirls...............

then again if you are to big you may need a bigger bike......me I am a skinny ass...........not much good in a bar room brawl.....but don't have to take my starter and centerstand off to make it sing.......3500 @ 65

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

BiffTirkle wrote:
heres a set i bought from ardcorechoppers.com if i had to do it over again, i would have tried to make a set myself. i decided after i bought them that, i wanted a different style. so i will use these until i can learn to make the set i want.

Well....that's pretty much exactly what I want, so if you decide to get rid of them soon, let me know.

What was the price of them?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Me ......The ass that I am......just can't wait to see how everything pans for you guys..........me I just tweak Yamaha's stuff a bit here and there and turned 59 thou.....and untold repairs just from that......my RT1's had a much better engine removal per miles than the XS has so far proven.......but then again not as much fun to ride on the highway as the XS.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Well yeah....but like...tons of guys one straight pipes...it's been done for years.

It is possible Razz

Plus, the 650's sound beautiful with straight pipes.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 16, 2008, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get straight pipes for a '79 XS?

Careful with all the jetting is all I was at........and I think these things are cam advanced for revs which makes them a bunch on the revs and low on the torque...and they are on a unstable and non zero-able pressed vibrating crank.....for sure ...check the runout....decent if you are lucky......and both rods are at the same side of the crank which dicks balance for all rpms for sure like a 4 cyl.......study overbalance.....work on making it pull between 2500- 5000 rather than rev the thing to death and things may last...or at least you will have time to fix all the other problems.............me I didn't just fall off the turnip truck........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1