650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Swingarm bracing

Swingarm bracing
    Forum Index -> Frames
Fuzzy

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Swingarm bracing

Has anyone done the swingarm bracing mod?
If so, do you have any tips on how to make one? Any drawings etc?
Did you feel any difference in handling before and after the mod?

My bike is a 1982 XS650SE (UK) with rear drumbrake.

Thanks guys!
--Fuzzy
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

I've seen swingarms already braced and ready to bolt on on ebay. Don't remember how much though. As for a difference in feel and handling, I would suspect that an experienced roadracer might be able to tell a difference but most of us probably wouldn't.
Wulf

Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

I'd have to disagree with you on that Wulf. I just started riding this year and I could tell right off that there was difference in the way the bike would go through corners after I added the braced swingarm. I bought a completed swing arm on ebay from wiseguys-choppers-and-customs (joewiseguy on ebay) for $230. He will brace your swingarm for $130. I wouldn't want to try bracing without a jig like they have. You could end up with a braced and twisted swingarm.

Last edited by Cafe_Shop on June 18, 2006, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

When you think about it, the flex from an unbraced swingarm is not unlike the distortion from worn plastic swingarm bushings. The rear wheel does not stay inline with the rest of the bike. Have you ever noticed that you can pry the arms out of alignment on a stock swing arm with only a short length of pipe? That's only a fraction of the forces that are applied when riding.
Photo Gallery
Fuzzy

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

Thanks for the reply!
I will check to see if I can find one on ebay.
I'm looking to make my XS the best it can be, and adding the brace is on my to do list. (After tapered steering head bearings, Fork brace and either needle bearings, or bronze bushings in the swingarm)
Did your brace come with bronze bushings installed?

--Fuzzy
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

No but I put a set in. I've heard of rusting issues with the needle bearings. If it were a race only bike I would go with the bearings, but for the street stick with the bronze. The guy who made mine is a member on this site. If you email him I'm sure he can make you one. Look-up joe-wiseguy in the member directory. He has pictures of his braced swing arm & his contact info is there.
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

Your in a race to build the best XS. Have you seen my shopping list?
Photo Gallery
Fuzzy

PostPosted: June 19, 2006, 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

Cafe_Shop wrote:
Your in a race to build the best XS. Have you seen my shopping list?

Yeah, I saw that list... But I dont think I will manage to compete with that at the moment, as my bike is still being "built" in my head Wink
I will ride my bike this summer doing small improvements on it, and next winter I will tear it down and give it the works.
How is your project coming along?

--Fuzzy
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 19, 2006, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

I rode it for about two weeks after I bought it. I don't know what the last guy did to this bike but everything was loose and wobbly. And it only has 3000 miles on it! I couldn't bring myself to ride it anymore without some major work. One thing led to another and now my bike is sitting on the center stand in the back and a jack stand in the front. I've already recouped my initial purchase price for the bike by selling all the parts I don't need off the bike. Wheels are planed for this month and the new engine bits the next. It should be ready to ride when it starts to snow!
Photo Gallery
Fuzzy

PostPosted: June 19, 2006, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

I found joe-wiseguy on ebay, and saw his work. Looks like high quality work.
Only thing I didnt like about his braces, is that he advises to remove the rear footpegs: I want to have the possibility to carry a passenger.
I will contact him about that..

--Fuzzy
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: June 19, 2006, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

"I'd have to disagree with you on that Wulf. I just started riding this year and I could tell right off that there was difference in the way the bike would go through corners after I added the braced swingarm"

Hey, if ya can tell the difference then go for it. My opinion as stated was only speculation. I've seen a lot of folks add all the bolt on, fix-um-up super doodads they could buy only to be dissapointed with the end result because most of them aren't riding at the hairy edge where the bucks spent really make the difference.
Wulf

Jack

PostPosted: June 19, 2006, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

Depending on the look your after and for what's it's worth, a boxed tubing swing arm is much superior than any braced stock swing arm and it'll weight less for a reduction in unsprung weight to improve the handling of the XS. Regardless of which direction you take to increase the rigidity of the arm you also must address the pivot point to reduce side twisting or you won't reap the benifits of frame modification cuz any attemps to enhance handling by bracing,etc will only high light other weak areas of the frame.................Jack
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 19, 2006, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

Well for some of us the reason we bolt on all these bits is so we feel a little more comfortable on the edge. The XS was structurally a knock-off of a generic British bike from the 60s. It makes me feel better to put a little 21st century thought into these otherwise cool bikes.
Photo Gallery
Fuzzy

PostPosted: June 20, 2006, 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

I can assure you that I just dont throw bolt on, fix-um-up super doodads on the bike without thinking it through first. And feeling the need for it.

I will transform this cool bike into a great handling bike with a strong engine. Like Cafe_Shop I too feel that its nothing wrong with adding 21st century thought to it.

--Fuzzy
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: June 20, 2006, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

You don't have to explain to me what the XS was structurally based on,Iwas riding brit twins back in the early sixties when they were popular over HD and if you think adding a under or over brace will bring the stock XS swing arm up to the 21st code,then by all means go for it............Jack
Jack

PostPosted: June 20, 2006, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

Being you brought up bringing the XS to 21st Century specs,here are some prime examples of high tech XSs Wink ..........Jack

img.photobucket.com/al...roject.jpg

img.photobucket.com/al...myduke.jpg
Wulf

PostPosted: June 20, 2006, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

Hey Fuzzy, Like I was saying, my opinion was only speculation and if you can tell the difference then go for it! As for the doodad bit, it was not directed at you specifically. I'm sure we all know folks who have performed mods to their bike, car, or whatever and just didn't end up with the expected results. That's all. I hope that whatever you or anybody else does to their bike will meet their expectations in the end result. You want a kickass cafe racer...GO FOR IT!!!
Wulf

Fuzzy

PostPosted: June 21, 2006, 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

He he he Very Happy
This stirred up some feelings...
I don't think I will get it up to the standards of modern bikes, but as I was saying previously, I will try to make it the best XS IT can be for me Wink

Quote::
and if you think adding a under or over brace will bring the stock XS swing arm up to the 21st code,then by all means go for it............Jack
No I don't think it will transform this bike into a 21st century bike, but I feel it can be improved over a stock bike, and that's what I'm going for.

Cool looking bikes there Jack!

Quote::
I'm sure we all know folks who have performed mods to their bike, car, or whatever and just didn't end up with the expected results.
Wulf: I'm not trying to argue otherwise. I know what you are saying, and I agree! Cool

Take this for what its worth:
I'm building a bike to suit my needs, and I want to improve this great bike over a stock. I feel that adding some bracing to the forks and swingarm will make it a better handling bike. If I'm wrong, well that's my mistake.
If you guys feel I'm wasting time and money on it, I appreciate your opinion, and I learn from it.

Thanks for great input on this subject guys!

--Fuzzy
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: June 21, 2006, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

75% of the flexing in the stock arm is at the center brace. Good luck on your project Fuzzy...................Jack
Fuzzy

PostPosted: June 28, 2006, 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Swingarm bracing

Thanks for the tip on where the flexing is Jack!

After some searching on the net, I found that a swedish guy in New Zeeland, has done some modifications to his XS650 and posted pics of the process on the web.
Lots of good quality photos, and if someone else is looking to do the swingarm bracing, here is a link to that:

Goran's braced swingarm.

--Fuzzy
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1