650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Starts with starter fluid, but won't hold idle

Starts with starter fluid, but won't hold idle
    Forum Index -> Engine
xs2Doug

PostPosted: June 14, 2006, 10:51 am    Post subject: Starts with starter fluid, but won't hold idle

Hi,

Just got my 72 to the point where I can fire it over. Its a new project for me and the bike hasn't run in some time.

I went through each carb, each petcock and changed the oil. at present, I'm able to get it to fire over and can even keep it running by reving the throttle but it dies if I let it go below 3k or so.

not sure what to check first; set points, timing, valve lash, mess with the carbs, etc...

both sides do seem to be firing and I've got good spark on each plug.

Also, Do all of these bikes vibrate like mad!?! mine will back itself up about a foot each time I throttle it if I run it while on the center stand... a couple of the front mount bolts are not stock and need attention but man does it vibrate!
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 14, 2006, 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Starts with starter fluid, but won't hold idle

yeah they all do a little happy dance if on bare concrete, put a rubber mat down under center stand to stop it, inside of the front of the carb throat right by the top of the butterfly are 3 small holes and a slightly larger one, part of the idle/air circuit make sure they and your pilot jet are clear that may help your idle, the motor mount bolts should be right diameter to keep engine in correct alignment
grizld1

PostPosted: June 15, 2006, 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Starts with starter fluid, but won't hold idle

Set the valves, cam chain tension and ignition first, then dial in mixture screws and synch; valve clearance and ignition can impact carb function, so do those first.

PostPosted: June 15, 2006, 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Starts with starter fluid, but won't hold idle

ok, was able to get it to idle somewhat better although it still surges a little...

It doesn't want to idle down as far as the book says (1000-1200) without loping and/or dieing but I'll try setting the valves and timing, etc. as suggested.

How much effect do mufflers have on idling? I'm just running head pipes now... I'm assuming I'll have to get them on before everything is running smooth?
grizld1

PostPosted: June 15, 2006, 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Starts with starter fluid, but won't hold idle

Relieving exhaust and/or intake breathing has a major impact on carburetion--leans out the mixture.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1