650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > SINGLE CARB CONVERSION

SINGLE CARB CONVERSION
    Forum Index -> Fuel
jp1979

PostPosted: May 22, 2006, 4:19 pm    Post subject: SINGLE CARB CONVERSION

I have seen a single carb put on some old British bikes so I was wondering if any one has done it to their 650?
-jwk-

PostPosted: May 22, 2006, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SINGLE CARB CONVERSION

Bob Scogin has done it.

See: www.lafishmag.com/scogin.html

Dallas, OR
XS650SJ
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 22, 2006, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SINGLE CARB CONVERSION

I'm interested in the single carb idea as well. What would be the correct size as it would only be drawing one cylinder at a time? I don't think it would be double but I think it would have to be bigger than one stock XS carb. How about jetting?
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: May 23, 2006, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SINGLE CARB CONVERSION

Wouldn't that be like having an original twin carbed hemi and changing to a single? I guess the question is...Why? Ok, Scogin's looks pretty good, but when you get down to the tech side of it, air flow is now having to make 2 90 degree turns to get into the head rather than a straight shot in. Outside of looks, I just don't see any real advantage by going to a single carb. Besides, twin carbs look better in my humble opinion. A side note about Scogin's setup... the picture states that Bob hand made the carb and intake... Hate to say it but the carb is a 32mm flatside carb used in motocross for years. Might just be a typo and they meant he handmade the intake setup. The stock BS38 carb on the XS has a venturi bore of 30.6mm.
Wulf

jp1979

PostPosted: May 24, 2006, 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: SINGLE CARB CONVERSION

Why not, since there are not many that have it.... its all the more reason.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 24, 2006, 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: SINGLE CARB CONVERSION

Why? Because you can!
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: May 24, 2006, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SINGLE CARB CONVERSION

I have no issues with anyone wanting to customize their ride to whatever degree they want. My question was more to the point of by going to a single carb setup you are probably going to reduce hp. I want to hardtail one of my XS's which would cause many to ask WHY??? Why do away with a perfectly good suspension system. Why subject your back to such abuse. etc, etc. I suppose hardtailing my bike could be cosidered a performance downgrade not unlike going to a single carb, so maybe it's a moot point. Single carb? Go for it!!!
Wulf

kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 26, 2006, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: SINGLE CARB CONVERSION

I believe the carb Scogin used is a Lectron. They used to be the carb of choice for the TZ's that Kenny Roberts rode. I seem to remember really sexy clear float bowls.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1