650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Clutch Nut Spring Washer

Clutch Nut Spring Washer
    Forum Index -> Drive
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 22, 2008, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Clutch Nut Spring Washer

Where does the "Clutch Nut Sping Washer go"? My manual not much help. I'm thinking it goes under the clutch nut locking tab??

I'm refering to MikesXS part # 39-6513

Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: March 23, 2008, 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Nut Spring Washer

The spring washer is used '74-'79, the locking tab washer from '80 on. They're not used together.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 23, 2008, 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Nut Spring Washer

Thanks again 5twins. I'll have to double check my old parts I changed out but I sure thought they were both on mine.
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: March 23, 2008, 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Nut Spring Washer

You may be right. The parts diagrams do indicate a conical spring washer under the lock tab and nut on the '80-on clutches but it has a different part # (90208-18025-00) than the one Mike sells. Mike's #39-6513 washer for '74-'79 models is O.E.M. part #214-16119-00-00. I think the O.D.s on the 2 are different, the latter washer being smaller. The tabs on that lock tab washer need to reach down around the outside of the lower washer to engage slots in the hub. Too large of a lower washer would not allow this and may even cover the hub slots.

I upgraded my '78 with an '80-on clutch last season and seem to recall there just being a plain flat washer under that lock tab. I'll be in there again this spring so I'm going to have to check that.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1