650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Omars tank

Omars tank
    Forum Index -> Fuel
Jeffery

PostPosted: February 12, 2006, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Omars tank

I recently installed my Omar streettracker tank and began adjustment of my 34mm mikuni's. I noticed after of about 5 min of engine operation and moving needle clip around that the slides felt sticky. I pulled off the gas cap and found that the lining of interior of tank was slippery and gummy feeling. I have since pulled the carbs and felt inside the intake ports of the head and felt the same sticky feeling I felt on the slides. The white slimy stuff actually comes off the inside of the tank and sticks on my finger and is hard to wash off. Does anyone have any like experience with Omars tanks? I hope there hasn't been engine damage.
I'm sending tank back tomorrow after talking with Phil Little who sells the tank. We have ethanol in our fuel here in Phoenix but that gas hadn't been in my tank more then 24 hrs. The tank had already been painted and graphics done. I'm new here and this is my first post.
Jeffery
Jeffery

PostPosted: February 13, 2006, 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Omars tank

My question is does anyone know what is on the inside of those tanks? It came with a white color interior. I would think they would be lined with some kind of protective liner like Kreem. I was looking at Kreem's website and it said that Kreem was compatible with some fiberglass. I know ethanol is widely used these days across the country. I don't want to risk engine damage with whatever that junk is. I spoke with GP glassworks the other day and they say they have never had problems with glass tanks. What material is used in dirt bike tanks, it seems to hold up well? What are my options here? I can't stand the looks of a stock 650 tank on a streettracker. Jeffery
DRoCk

PostPosted: February 13, 2006, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Omars tank

I don't have any experience with his tanks, but keep us posted on what you find out. I was thinking of finding a bike to turn into a cafe bike down the road and am always looking at companies and their parts for later reference.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1