650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Side Stand Engine Cutoff

Side Stand Engine Cutoff
    Forum Index -> Engine
turk64

PostPosted: September 29, 2005, 10:22 am    Post subject: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

In the latest list of what is new with the 83 HS, now when the side kickstand is down the engine cuts off, this is new. Is there a way to defeat it? I have to start the bike with it on the center stand now.'
Turk
Photo Gallery
grogerso

PostPosted: September 29, 2005, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

Remove the switch and the relay both.
turk64

PostPosted: September 29, 2005, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

I imagine that they are both located by the kickstand hinge?
Photo Gallery
xs650mike

PostPosted: September 29, 2005, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

If it's working properly the bike will start with the sidestand down ONLY IF the tranny is in neutral. Sometimes the switch gets crudded up and sticks and the engine will cut as soon as the bike is put in gear. It's easy to bypass the sidestand switch, I did this on my XS650SJ. If you follow the wires up from the switch to a point under the left sidecover you'll find a 2 wire plug. Disconnect it. Take a short length of wire with a spade connector on each end and plug it into the harness shorting out the connection. The electrical system "thinks" the sidestand switch is closed and the sidestand is up. This solution will only take about 5 minutes to accomplish and the bike can be brought back to stock in seconds if desired. Just remember not to ride off with the sidestand down!

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
turk64

PostPosted: September 29, 2005, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

Actually earlier I had a post about the engine cutting off when i put it into gear, I cleaned out the throwout gear, which needed to be done anyway, and it went away. I will do this and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip.
Photo Gallery
grogerso

PostPosted: September 30, 2005, 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

You don't have to 'jump' the contacts for the switch, just remove the relay when you remove the switch. The relay is right next to the connector for the swith under the left cover. It's the big square one with four? wires going to it. One is blue w/ a yellow stripe.
xs650mike

PostPosted: September 30, 2005, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

In other words it's really not even necessary to remove the switch, just unplug at the connector and remove the relay, right?

XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage

Photo Gallery
grogerso

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

Yes, but why do want an unused switch hanging from your bike? You won't "pole vault" on your side stand more than once; it'll scare the s*** outta you when your back end jumps around and you'll never forget to kick it up again.
xs650mike

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

The switch was sticking so I saw where it plugged into the harness and took 2" of wire and crimped a couple of spades onto it, took 2 minutes...end of problem, too lazy to remove the switch...and then there are those resto/collector freaks that want everything "stock to the handgrips" and since my SJ is fairly cherry I've got the ability to bring it back to stock almost instantly. I've got another bike that I'm customizing a bit that doesn't have that switch anyway.

Trouble with leaving the stand down, it might not be just a scare. I've known people to crash because of it, in fact I read about a fatality in the paper a year or so ago. I think Yamaha smelled product liability lawsuits so they installed the lockout. I long ago learned about the stand thing though, I've been riding since 1958.

XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage

Photo Gallery
Derbytown

PostPosted: January 22, 2006, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

What model years have this switch? I have an XS650B (1975) does this year have the kick stand switch? Thanks for any and all replies to these questions.
Ride Safe.
Derbytown
xs650mike

PostPosted: January 22, 2006, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

Derbytown wrote:
What model years have this switch? I have an XS650B (1975) does this year have the kick stand switch? Thanks for any and all replies to these questions.
Ride Safe.
Derbytown
The B doesn't have a switch. The switch causes the engine to stop if the bike is put in gear with the stand down. My '81H doesn't have the switch but my '82SJ does.

XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage

Photo Gallery
Derbytown

PostPosted: January 23, 2006, 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Side Stand Engine Cutoff

Ok, thanks for the reply.
Ride Safe.
Derbytown

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1