650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > mikes xs

mikes xs
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
royfisk

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 9:58 pm    Post subject: mikes xs

Hey check out mikes delorto 36mm carburator kits. I havent tried them yet but I bet then babbies will work just right. No more mikuni blues.
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

roy you swallowed the bullet and bought the big dogs!!!
Photo Gallery
murph

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

anyone with results?
1983 xs650sk:sold
1979 xs650f:parts
-1979 xs400
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Real good price for a pair of pumpers. Jetting selection's kinda limited, though. But what "Mikuni blues," Roy? I think most of what we've seen is them bad ole Wentnchangedoutpipesfilterscarbswithoutknowinhowtatune Blues.

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

I dont know grizz seems like everywhere I look on this site someones got jet problams, tunning problams, what size carbs, I personally like vm's very well. and wont switch, but these pumpers are interesting cause of there size and how they work. I am a firm believer in 36mm carbs. Ill bet money on it there is very little to do in the rejetting department . I beleive Mike did his homework and you will find these bolt on and only the pickiest of tunners will change jetting. They should perform excellent. Now if Mike wants to do something with the leaky clutch seal problam, like my cure is to when you install a new seal also add a felt the same size as the seal it will help keep dirt from the seal contact surface and prolong the life of the seal. I like this new item from mike better then the gasket set's. Wish my present project was budgettted for a set of these carbs because I would try them out.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Then there's me just puttering along........John
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

roy are you selling premade felt gasket as an addon to the new seal? It has been a while since I made a trip up to old vt.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

No kyle, I cut my own. its not hard . the 650 has a problam with the seals because of the dirt and oil collected there from the chain. best cure is to remove the clutch cover periodically and pressure wash the whole area. But I find very few people do that. So I istall the felt to help keep the grime from the seal. works good. But I was hoping mayby Mike would like to use this and his contacts and get some made for resale. Wouldnt cost much and I bet anyone who ever replaced a seal would buy.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Wonder why some pushrod seals leak and some don't .....with all the miles on mine it's never leaked a drop.......nothing I did to help it along.......wonder if it could be the allignmemt of the side case...some being better alligned than others.....???

John
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

I think John that theres several reasons. boken chains will do it everytime. I beleive in the north where bikes sit for longer periods of time rust helps out. Which is another reason for the felt. It will get oil soaked and also help stop pitting on the pushrod which tears seals. Roads we travel on can add to the factor. dirt roads will collect more grime the city swept streets. The way we clean these beasts is another. Hope you didnt jinx yourself and find all your oil pouring out anytime soon. Ive put them in without tearing down the lower end before, but much prefer to tear down the lower end. AGAIN USE 3-BOND 1104 on the outer edge of the seal lightly either way you do it. Anytime you tear a lower end apart always use new seals. Which reminds me you had yours apart you didnt change it then???? YOUR ONE LUCKY GUY JOHN
Mikesxs

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Dyno Sheets on Dellorto carbs will go up later today (no Guessing ).
Considerable development has gone into tuning.
We make very little on these carbs and hope we can hold prices on the next import order (the USA Dollar has been sliding against the Euro).

See our web site for more new XS performance parts that just went up today.
Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
Joseph

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

On the difernt length pushrods, on the long one is there a bearing on each end of it on the 2 short rod set up is there 3 bearings one inbetween the 2 rods and one on each end?
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Roy............I don't know what Mikuni blues you are experiencing but the Mikuni flatslide will out perform the Dellordos any day of the week and year. A pumper isn't necessary for street use all it does is waste fuel raising fuel comsumption. I had Dellordos on my BMW and after switching over, power delivery was much smoother, increased torque and HP through out the RPM range,along with a slight increase in mileage. The smooth bores will always have a higher air drag percentage at the bottom of the slides creating higher turbulance due to the design and through the venturis but anyway good luck on what ever you deside to use and if you decide to go Dellordos,talk to Mike and see if he's going to be offering different jet selections for modified motors................Jack
Mikesxs

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Jack: Always something negative no matter what product we introduce but never any proof and always an axe to grind. Jerry Heiden of Heiden Tuning was Yamaha's main Tuner in Europe for years and has dyno tested Mikuni VM's, Mikuni Flat slides, Mikuni Ganged flatslides with accelerator pumps and just about every combination used on both XS motocross bikes in europe as well as numerous road race engines made by Yamaha. His hand built race engines reside in technology museums in Japan and he is still consulted by Yamaha Europe and specialty engine builders in Sweden. I realise that you think the only answer to power is what you use and whatever has been ported by your hands alone and challenge you to prove what you say is anything but benchracing. Mikes XS, Heiden Tuning,
XS650Shop.de and R Projects Co. Ltd. have all specialized in XS650's only and have tried to do as much as we can to keep these old bikes running, make all parts available at reasonable prices and make them better when
we can. Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
Jack

PostPosted: February 1, 2008, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

To MikesXS,I don't know what your damn problem is but I would very much for you to point out where in my post where you name was brought up negatively. You can't can you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's because I didn't MR. so how about keeping your damn comments to yourself and I couldn't careless of the years heiden has tuning engines either as I 've been tuning engines for 25 plus years and the Dellortos have no advantage over aflatslide or any VM and that statement comes from numerous dyno testing myself on my BMW and engines I've built over the years. I would suggest before you jump me again you'd best get your facts in order. You obviously think your pedestal sets higher than most and just the sure mentioning of your good names consitutes 40 lashes,get a life........Jack
MercuryMorse

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Jack: I beg to differ with you, but Mikuni VMs ARE an inferior 4 stroke carburator. Few people know that the VMs are a rejected Amal design. They were under consideration as a replacement for the Monobloc, but since they are the one design that mixes the air correction air with the fuel AFTER it has been metered, they will not tilt the fuel/air curve enough for a four stroke. Even Mikuni's own literature states that you give up 15% of your full throttle midrange power, compared to other carbs. Flat slide TMs suffer the same. So, for what it's worth, you seem to have had different results than all the engineers at Amal and Mikuni, as well as most road racing tuners. Note that VMs are used on dirt track XSs to suppress the midrange, due to the XS's lack of flywheel, as are the 1 3/4" headpipes. MMM 650 Central
Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Well Jack it's Not my company name you slam it's the many negative comments you go out of your way to make about many of the products we release. You have something to say even before anyone has seen/bought a product and usually make sure you post the negative comments to both boards.
If you provide proof that a part doesn't work and your way does it would be great . See the dyno charts (proof) attached to our Dellorto listings. All jetting is readily available , but we stock only the range usefull for the XS for now.
A lot of parts take 1-3 years to get thru planning & production and are not just picked up randomly from an XS650 parts factory (there are none). As for BMW's, you are comparing blenders to wood chippers.

Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Can't we all just get along?

Smile Group Hug Smile

Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Ok guys ; Im not slamming any one or any product, but I dissagree with the vacume slides of the bs carbs, they were designed to meet emissions and emissions only. never have I seen them right unless a 3rd circuit was involved. As for amal carburators they did what they were designed to doback in the what 40's? Alot of lymy bikes went with the cv's back in the 70's. Pumpers are what they are also, yes you use gas but the upper end and light to light performance is there. You want perfect tunning get electronic fuel injection then you have it. personally I am a vm guy I like what they do. yes there is a altitude issue after 3500 hundred feet. but if I am adjusted at 1000 ft . In my area I dont get out of my range (NO PROBLAM) . I beleive that I opened a can of worms here and we are sounding like the dreadded harley guys now. zenith, mikuni, s&s, delorto, bendix, screaming eagle, su's . etc. Every harley pro i know has a differant view of what works and what doesnt. I use my own knowledge and experiance. But for what its worth to all when it comes to moving air which is what a engine does, ANY ENGINE IS NOTHING MORE THEN A AIR PUMP. The xs 650 is too and Jack has hands down made the most sense of any person Ive talked to about these engines. You want wide open throttle performance in my opinion jack will tell you facts about getting it. You want dtreet performance, useable performance and again jack will sell you a recipe. Every item you purchase for your engines ttop end pre determins what that engine will and will not do. cams, carbs, porting, vales sizes, and exhaust ALL play a roll in the performance of the engine. To the guy who runs down vm's as soon as my projects done wanna play????? What I was stateing is pumpers to have there place, and I think mike is on right track too. I would like to try a set of these at some point on my roadrace project, and I bet there are other readers out there with hot rod cafe bikes etc. that to would like them. Mike thanks for bringing more selection and choices to the riders . Personally I would like to see someone bring baseline {starting point} jetting kits complete with needles for the vm carburators. CONVERSION KITS from other bikes and snowmobiles. slide, jets, needles , cables, chokes etc. This would save thousands of old 34-38mm vms from being trashed and put to good use. Ity should be able to be done fairly reasonable. 650 central offers the information for $25.00 plus all the parts needed. Why not just package the parts and offer the kit.
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

All this carb talk is starting to sound like my daddy can beat up your daddy.............these are just old 650's not F18's......and the BS34 are fine carbs if you understand them.......

John

Last edited by xsjohn on February 2, 2008, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

hah! roy, you've made the most sense yet. ive been pulling my hair out trying to decide what carbs to get for my project. its a sucide shifting bobber. i dont need POWER! i need a set of carbs that gives me a good range of throttle response, and ease of tunning. maybe for a cafe racer project in a year or two ill put a set of dellorto carbs on that.

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

The best power for price..... NON PUMPER carburetor IS the flatslide.

320 bucks and you're in business.

I think what Mikesxs has been doing is great. I wouldn't mind a set of those Dellorto's. I'd run em if I had em. They are a bit pricey, but go look at any pumper carb and then tell me about it.

I really like the way Mikes has aggressively pursued development of aftermarket hard parts for the XS. Nobody else is doing that to the same degree right now.

I mean, those 750 cylinders are SICK. I want em.

Now, If I could only get Mike to crank out a solid billet head for these babies.......heh heh.......a head capable of holding substantially larger valves. A head that cools better. One that is a bit stronger. I've been dreaming this one for years.

Just so you know mike, if you build it, I will buy it. Keep up the good work.

Seems we got guys here partial to every sort of carb.

XsJohn loves his little tin tops

Other guys love the roundslides.

I'm a recent flatslide convert....as of today.

I'm sure there is gonna be some Dellorto fans here if there isn't some already.

To each his own.

We could always start a 34mm vs 36mm carb thread again and really go at it. I'm always game for nonsense. Notice how the new Dellortos are 36mm!!!!!!!! lol

Anyways, none of it is worth arguing.

Like Mikesxs said, the proof is in the performance.

Ain't like a guy can't build a mean motor with stock carbs...anythings possible. Shoot, Kenny Roberts was plenty fast with roundslides right? I mean, 110 mph on the dirt is fast enough, no?

I'm glad there are new parts coming out. It'll keep these bikes running for years to come. It's necessary to the survival of our favorite bikes. No parts, no bikes.
Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

amen!

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes xs

Two of the very best things about being involved with the XS 650 this late in life and this long after they were produced are Mikes XS and 650 Central. These gentlemen and their businesses deserve our gratitude, appreciation and business support. Of course this means Mike Lalonde and Michael Mercury Morse. Thank you both!

This other stuff is as the Dutch say ...a storm in "ein glass wasser"

Rex/Blue

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2